790 smoke on start

/ 790 smoke on start #1  

labs3

I'm a new 790 owner and a diesel newbe. How much smoke is normal on start up? My tractor smoke is blue gray and fills the air for about 2-3 miniutes. Would b-20 fuel make a difference?

/ 790 smoke on start #2  
Ok, I never say this, but:

Fill In Your Profile!!!

Where are you, the Andes, the Great White North? It makes a difference

How many hours are on the tractor? How long has it acted this way?

Please don't be offended, and no need to give your exact address, but any info sure will help.

/ 790 smoke on start
Sorry Mike I'm learning. The 790 has 2 hours on it and I live in Oregon with a 40 to 60 degree temp range this time of year.

/ 790 smoke on start #4  
No problem. Now, I am not much help, but somebody smarter than I will have a lot more to go on!

/ 790 smoke on start #5  
My 5103JD does the same...it is more than likely nothing to worry about. Most diesels w/ out a preheater will smoke on cold days right at start up. If it continues after the tractor warms up, you may have a bigger problem.

/ 790 smoke on start #6  
I see the same thing when I start up my 790.
I don't worry about it, as it seems to go away as soon as the engine warms up.
Regards,
Mike

/ 790 smoke on start #7  
I'll get the same color smoke for a minute or so...don't think you have anything to be concerned about

/ 790 smoke on start #8  
all diesels smoke on start up. I don't care if it'sa Deere, Perkins, Detroit, or Cat engine. It's the nature of the beast. What happens with the type of smoke once the engine warms up makes a difference. Most all diesels once warm should be blue. It will be black if it's under a heavy load or if the air filter is almost plugged.