Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs?

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs? #1  

farming

Anyone ever put in an aftermarket stereo in their JD CAB tractor? I don't want to pay $600 for a basic Delco one when you can get a full blown CD/MP3 one from Crutchfield for $250 or less. Does it use a wire harness like a particular car or truck brand to connect up to the pre-installed speakers?

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs? #2  
Works just like a car. Most of JD cabs are already prewired for stereo and have speakers installed.

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs? #3  
I'm sure all the cab models are different, but here is a PDF showing how the stereo mounts and connects in my 3000 twenty series cab. It is a single DIN receiver. Worse case is you'll have to snip the factory harness and solder it to the new head unit harness. Heck, Crutchfield may even had an installation kit/harness for a Deere, um Delco!

I'm thinking of switching mine out also at some point.

Good luck,
Chris

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs? #4  
I haven't reviewed the newer Delco/Deere radios for the Compact Series, but I have a lot of experience with Ag Tractors and Radios-here is my take-if you see a typical Deere Ag Tractor radio, it is shrink-wrapped to keep the Dust/Contaminants out of the Head unit. I have never tried to do this with a regular Radio (possible overheating issue?), and, the units tend to have a more sturdy Chassis-not to say I haven't seen a lot of Aftermarket Radios in Cabs, but after a few years they GENERALLY don't look very good-

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs?
Report: Well, talked to Crutchfield and they had no idea about any wire harness adapters for ag tractors, but that I could just cut and crimp the wires from the receiver to the correct ones in the Cab for the power and speakers. So took the plunge and bought one along with an install kit that had a volt meter. Since I'm a complete novice with electrical stuff, it took a while figuring out which wire did what in the tractor, but with one blown fuse (stupid me let the ground and battery wire ends touch when I was moving the tangled mess around) and some fussing, its finally up and running. So for less than half the price of the generic Delco setup from Deere, I have a really nice JVC CD player with built-in HD Radio tuner and MP3/WMA playback. It sounded great even with the tractor at full power... of course the 6420 Cab insulation has a lot to do with that.

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs? #6  
How many speakers does my 5525 cab have in it? It sounds like only one...

D.

In looking at the online JD parts catalog for the 5525... the "WIRING HARNESS (ROOF) (CAB)" shows that connector 9 goes to the Right Speaker and connector 23 to the Left. So it appears that at least the new ones do. Do you see two grill openings on either side of the Cab?

First I'd check to see if your stereo has a Balance control as that could be set to only play from one side... the middle should be both. If not, then maybe you have a loose wire or even a broken speaker. Is it under warranty so the dealer could check?

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs? #8  
Just ordered a CD player with satellite radio for my JD 5220 cab and had the exact same question you had: does crutchfield have a wiring harness that works?... same answer (no). Havn't received it yet and havn't started the install but hoping mine goes smooth. anything I should look out for?

thanks!

/ Aftermarket Stereo Install on JD CABs? #9  
Just ordered a CD player with satellite radio for my JD 5220 cab and had the exact same question you had: does crutchfield have a wiring harness that works?... same answer (no). Havn't received it yet and havn't started the install but hoping mine goes smooth. anything I should look out for?

thanks!

Sorry, been busy hadn't gotten a chance to get back to the site so you may have already gotten it in, but if not, just don't let the live power wire hit any other ones or you'll blow a fuse /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif .