Front Loader? - JD 425

/ Front Loader? - JD 425 #1  

Sel

Tractor
Mid 90's Craftsman
I've searched and read alot of post here re: the 425's, but have a question regarding a front end loader/bucket. I'd like to be able to use one to scrape manure in a horse pasture, and maybe dig into some hills just a little to take out some or the roll in them. Is this something the 425 can handle, and if so, what options are out there for an end loader on the 425.

Thanks.

/ Front Loader? - JD 425 #2  
Sel,

The loader on the 425/445/455 tractors, and also the new X series, are limited by hydraulic flow. That is to say, the will do the work required of them, albeit slowly. These tractors also have the bane of having the power without the mass (what I mean is that they are lightweight). To do any heavy work, you will need to ballast the heck out of them. As for digging, ANY tractor has some problem with this. A big help is a toothbar, which will take care of those rocks etc that get in the way of digging. If the 4xx with a loader had a toothbar, it would do a better job here. However, if loader work is important to you, you are better off with a CUT or sub-CUT with the mass and 4WD to go along. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Front Loader? - JD 425 #3  
Sel,

I had an X 595 that I bought a 45 front loader for. The tractor would handle the loader fine but it is true the hydraulic flow is really poor. The loader operates from the stick levers on the console which is pretty slow. The other thing I did not like is that you cannot use the loader simultaneously with a rear blade, because there are not enough hydraulic ports and rockshaft controls. With my 595 the MFWD was a real help, I never used the loader without it. The 425 will be traction limited when using say a 40 model loader. You will have to weight it down well to gain any force on piles of anything. I think though it would do what you want it to. You will have to see whether it is worth it to sink the money necessary for the loader, ballast, etc. or whether an upgrade to a 2210 used or something like that would be better.

John M

/ Front Loader? - JD 425 #4  
Was reading old posts and ran across this one (hey...its cold outside here in MN :D )

So.....I have a nice older 425 with the model 40 loader on it. Mine is a two wheel steer (the 40 wont fit on an aws models). I used mine ALOT when building our home a few years back and for projects at my daughters home, at my biz, and at our lake place. As has been said this is a light tractor.....so I put wheel weights on the back, filled the tires with fluid and hung 4 suitcase weights off the 3 point drag links....and put on my chains. (Don't be bashful about standing on the diff lock when digging either.)

Thus equipped the tractor/loader does some pretty good work. I built several boulder retaining walls....and this little rig moved some absolutely HUGE boulders by skidding them around with the loader as well as picking some of the smaller ones up. The hydraulics are a bit weak....but I got 'er done!....sometimes after several attempts at different angles....but:D

I never had a tooth bar....but could do a little digging in the right soils. If you added a tooth bar it had better be pretty light as this loader doesn't have tremendous lift capacity....maybe 400 lbs or so at 3 feet.

/ Front Loader? - JD 425 #5  
Just found a pic of the 425 and loader.....

Attachments

• Lake Land Tractor 060.jpg
    Lake Land Tractor 060.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 9,199