3PH spacing

/ 3PH spacing #1  

flwiii

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
What do most of TBN'ers do to keep the proper distance between the 3PH lower arms? I can't keep the lower arms at the desired distance apart when backing into an implement. This seems to be my only issue with the standard 3PH.

I figured I could buy a turn buckle, some 3/8" steel rod and a left and right hand die and make my own adjustable spacer. I can't believe the difficulty I am having finding left hand 3/8" X 16NC left hand dies. I've been to Home Depot, and several ACE hardware stores to no avail. This is what has led me to the intro question. What do most of you (the experts of the tractor world) do to maintain the spacing?

Thanks
Frank

/ 3PH spacing #2  
Sounds like you're a candidate for an I-Match.

/ 3PH spacing
Doesn't the I-Match lower your lift capacity due to both its weight and the fact that the implement is now further behind the link ends? Also, about how much lift capacity is lost? I have thought about it, but for $270.00 it seems a bit expensive.

I have also seen that some have added those Pat's Quick hitch units and one picture seem to show a tie bar that keeps the lower arms spaced properly.

If I can't get a left hand die, I may have to go to something like the I-Match.

Thanks for your input.

/ 3PH spacing #4  
I as well as many have struggled with keeping the arms at the right spread (peice of pipe) while backing until I put all the attachments on wheels. Now I just position the attachment without haveing to move the tractor. This works well in the garage but it wouldn't work outside in the dirt. If I had to do alot of outdoor changing out I think I would buy the Imatch or equivalent. Pat's helps somewhat for connecting up especially if you use an adustable spreader.

/ 3PH spacing #5  
1. set the sway chains so the arms can't close any more than they would be when fully contracted on the implement pins, actually a little narrower.

2. then just back into your implement with the arms just higher than the pins. If they touch the implement they will bounce outward.

3. when lined up, just drop the arms onto the implement pins and releave pressure on the arms.

4. then just pull them outward and let gravity take em onto the pins.

works for me anyway.

/ 3PH spacing
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the tractor and realized that it wouldn't work on the 2305.

The sway chains are on the inside of the 2305 lower control arms. If the were on the outside your suggestion would work. The current sway chains on the 2305 don't seem to be as efficient as maybe they could be. In fact I wonder if they work at all. I guess they would if the implement had a spacing greater than 30 1/2 inches.

They are tightened as far as they can be (the 2 threaded rods are touching each other) and the arms can still swing out to about 30 1/2 inches. They tend to want to maintain about 26 1/2 inches between them and my implements center at 28 1/2 inches.

Thanks again slaveToHorses

Frank

/ 3PH spacing
Still no availability of any left hand dies to cut my own threads. I did, though, find a 14" turnbuckle (jaw & jaw) that works nicely. This will work until I get an I-Match.

/ 3PH spacing #8  
I haven't had any trouble. Just work the turnbuckles to full extension, as you usually have to do to remove them from a full-width implement anyway. Then back up with the lift arms fully down. Once in place, you can easily raise them to put one on and then the other. It helps to be able to move the implement. I've most of mine on castors or trolleys or drop them on pieces of wood on which they'll scoot. I can now put on and remove up to 3 implements in succession as I need them, very quickly.

I have little enough room to connect the PTO. Imatch or similar would reduce this room.

Ralph