JD 2210 - how much to cut the tiller PTO shaft ?

/ JD 2210 - how much to cut the tiller PTO shaft ? #1  

14paradise

Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST
Recent new lurker to the forum. I have a 2210 and will be buying a 48" tiller. Either a JD or KK, trying to decide if it is worth $600 more for the JD. Either way, I understand that the PTO shaft will need to be cut. What I don't know is how much. How do you determine this. Any assistance would be greatly Hppreciated.

Peter

/ JD 2210 - how much to cut the tiller PTO shaft ? #2  
I bought the KK tiller and don't regret it. It is a real nice unit. They had a procedure for measuring the shaft for cutting but I have misplaced it for now. Try a search on this forum regarding the cutting procedure, I have read the thread before and it's very informative. Get the KK tiller,the JD unit can't be $600.00 nicer.

John

/ JD 2210 - how much to cut the tiller PTO shaft ? #3  
I just cut one 3 times and it was still too short! Seriously, I had to lengthen the shaft on my sprayer to reach the pto on a different tractor. Here is what I would do when buying a new pto driven implement.
1. Check the owner's manual. Should explain how to check the length and cut if needed.
2. If that fails, ask the dealer. Maybe they will do it as part of the deal.

Let the board know how you made out. If the above fails, there are people here that can guide you through it. But try for the manufacturer's specs first, for they sometimes have minimum overlap specs and/or a certain position (up/down) that the machine needs to be in while taking the measurements. I did a quick & generic setup when I lengthened my sprayer shaft, but I didn't worry about minimum overlap because it requires minimal hp. A tiller will need more ponies.

/ JD 2210 - how much to cut the tiller PTO shaft ?
I picked up the 48" KK today. I decided to get the regular KK instead of the XB series. Much more substantial and $100 less. Out of 5 "local" TSC dealers there were only 2 of these in stock and the rest were three weeks away from getting more. It was $1198.

The directions spell out the process to cut the shaft very clearly so this should not be a problem. I will be doing this in the next couple of days. Unless??? This purchase is forcing me to decide on wether to go with Pat's quick attachment system or not since that will impact shaft length.

If I go ahead and cut the shaft to fit my regular 3PH, does anybody know how much $$ I will be out for a new shaft if I add the quick attach later?

/ JD 2210 - how much to cut the tiller PTO shaft ? #6  
I don't know the price, but the shaft with clutch looks expensive /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif