Any blacksmiths that can....

/ Any blacksmiths that can.... #1  

Garrabo

Banned
Tractor
3120,X-575,BX1830,BX22
make me a thumb for my soon to be arriving 448 hoe for my 3120? perhaps one that would clamp on around the dipper some how? I sure would like a thumb..
Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Any blacksmiths that can.... #2  
Addington Equipment
Chichester, NH
603-435-9970

Probably the biggest issue could be controlling it-

/ Any blacksmiths that can.... #3  
I have a shop by me, the guy has a plasma cutter and all kinds of scrap. If I take a pic of what I want and buy lunch, the price is very reasonable. With all the options that you end up wanting, that can be a very good route.

Of course, gettig set up to weld is probably even a better route.

Backhoe thumbs are often manually postioned. It would be nice to have the option of adding a cylinder later.

I bet you have seen the kit on eBay that you weld up yourself....

/ Any blacksmiths that can.... #4  
My aplolgies here, Rockyridge is correct. I assumed (and we know what happens when you do that) that you wanted a Hydraulic Thumb (much more useable than a fixed Thumb).

If you decide on a Hydraulic Thumb, I would add that there are more than one type of Hydraulic
Thumb-for the money, I highly recommend a "main pin" Thumb-it rotates on the same pin as the Bucket, and gives you much more rotation than a Thumb that is welded on the stick. The most expensive option would be a "Progressive Link" Thumb (gives the most rotation, but is overkill on a Compact Backhoe-and heavy). Remember, by putting a Thumb on your Backhoe you decrease the amount of material your Backhoe can pick up.

The other thing is that a well constructed Thumb will match your Bucket teeth (fit in between). The Manufacturer of the Thumb may ask for some dimensions to make it correctly (they are definitely all not the same). Just my .02-