Ballast 2305 3PH Ballast

/ 2305 3PH Ballast #1  

flwiii

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
The specs for the 2305 owners manual state that the lift capacity of the 3PH at 24 inches behind the lift links is 681 lbs. Yet when I read in the 200CX FEL manual it calls for fluid filled tires, one wheel weight per wheel plus 772 lbs of 3PH ballast. I assume that the link arms are the 2 arms (one is adjustable) that connects the upper lift arms to the lower lift arms. With this assumption, how can the 3PH lift the minimum 772 lbs required for ballast?

/ 2305 3PH Ballast #2  
The specs on 3PH lift capacity are standardized on 24 inches behind the Draft link spherical connections (hitch points) at the rear. (For Category 0 it is only 12 inches.) The Draft links are the "lower" links on a 3PH. The spec indicates the maximum weight at 24 inches behind the hitch points that can be lifted to the top. If the center of gravity of the weight is closer than 24 inches, more can be lifted, and if it is more than 24 inches less can be lifted. Most ballast boxes when loaded would have their center of gravity much less than 24 inches behind the hitch points. Therefore, it would not be difficult to meet the requirement specified in the loader manual.

JackIL

/ 2305 3PH Ballast #3  
JackIL:

Thanks for the great explanation. That's the best explanation I've heard. I've always been confused by the two ratings they provide (Lift arm and 24" behind) Also, on the 2305 I think From the Hitch point to the center of the end of the draft arm (The whole) is only about 18" (If I measured correctly) so that I think the capacity right at that point would be about 1-1/3 (24/18 = 4/3 = 1-1/3) times that listed at 24". Actually, now that I think of it that might not be completely correct, I suppose it would also depend upon the length of the rockshaft arm as compared to the length of the draft arm where the lift arm pins to it. Well, back to the drawning board - er I mean garage. I'll have to measure it tonight... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have 560 lbs of concrete hardened in my ballast box 140lbs (or maybe a smidgen less) for the box itself - almost 700lbs of ballast and it lifts it no problem even with about 2 " extended on the draft arms. (I use Pat's Easy change system which extends the effective length from the link point to the draft arm end.

Thanks,

/ 2305 3PH Ballast
Are you saying that the 24" behind is measured from the spherical connectors where the implement is attached to the lower lift arms? Am I correct in my understanding of this (See picture). Also, it seems that the farther the weight is behind the tractor the less the weight needs to be to offset the load in the loader due to leverage. Is this true?

3ph.jpg

/ 2305 3PH Ballast #5  
Yes. Yes. The 24 inch distance is used in the standard. If the weight is further back, you don't need as much and vice versa.

JackIL

/ 2305 3PH Ballast
Thanks for the explanation. I had thought that the term "link ends" were where the adjustable links connected to the lower lift arm in the picture. Now the amount of ballast specified doesn't seem so out of place.

Thanks