Rock Pickin' with the 2305

/ Rock Pickin' with the 2305 #1  

GordNovo

Silver Member
Rock Pickin\' with the 2305

My neighbor across the road had a bunch of rocks near his telephone pole the glaciers must've brought in ages ago! He didn't have a need for them so he let me go rock pickin!

Over the course of 3 hours, I moved about 30 or so rocks ranging from 200 to I figure 950 pounds. This one was the biggest.

God I love this machine!

Tires were a little low for this big one, luckily I didn't have to go too far. I didn't notice how low they were until I got to my temporary drive way destination.

That's the homestead in the background!

/ Rock Pickin' with the 2305
Re: Rock Pickin\' with the 2305

Oops, here's the pick

Attachments

• 867922-DSC01421 (Medium).JPG
    867922-DSC01421 (Medium).JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 758

And that's me with the big grin!

Marley our chocolate lab in the back!

Any my red getaway craft that's just waitin' for the mid-may opener!

Attachments

• 867925-DSC01422 (Medium).JPG
    867925-DSC01422 (Medium).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 736
   / Rock Pickin' with the 2305 #4  

Yeah, those tires are a little low all right. You need way more ballast than you have to get some of that weight shifted to the rear tires.

Still, that's one big rock.

Cliff

Cliff Johns, I too got a little concerned when I saw the state of the tire just after this pic was snapped. Luckily, I went extremely slow for the 200 meters or so from where I picked it. When I examined it closely I saw that I wasn't riding on the rim, but it was awfully close!

I haven't weighed my loaded ballast box but it's stacked with large 6" limestone peices. Can someone suggest a better pound per cubic foot material to use? I'd like to be able to remove the weight level easily and quickly if I can.

On the topic of weight on the front end, is there any reason to be concerned about the strength of the front axle with this amount of weight?

/ Rock Pickin' with the 2305 #6  

GordNovo, you wouldn't believe the amount of weight that I've had on my 2210 which is virtually the same machine. These babies are amazing with regards to what they are able to carry. I unfortunately know the feeling with the low tire issue. I was building a rock wall one day with 12" to 15" or so rocks, filling the bucket to the brim, what my dad came over and said "um, you may want to put more air in those front tires." They were millimeters away from running on the rim. But I aired them up and they've been good ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Rock Pickin' with the 2305 #7  

You can push those tires right off their rims by running them too low. Think it's at least 22 psi for such heavy work.

I lugged some rocks in my 410 loader yesterday, too.

Ralph

/ Rock Pickin' with the 2305 #8  
You might want to build a 3 point hitch fork for lifting heavy items like that. I have one I made for my Ford 1520 and I can lift full skids of brick with it.

/ Rock Pickin' with the 2305 #9  

GordNovo said:
And that's me with the big grin!

Marley our chocolate lab in the back!

Any my red getaway craft that's just waitin' for the mid-may opener!

I will soon get off of my duff and finish my 200cx installation and then I will be digging the dirt and movings other stuff around, ...etc.

Having more fun.

/ Rock Pickin' with the 2305 #10  
are your tires filled?