Backhoe 46 Backhoe vs. 62D Indepdnt Lift

/ 46 Backhoe vs. 62D Indepdnt Lift #1  

farmerhays

Tractor
John Deere 2520
The 46 backhoe for the 2520 is INCOMPATIBLE with the Independent lift option for the 62D.

This weekend I attempted to install the 46BH on my 2520. I had the 46BH on it last fall before I purchased the 62D mower and everything was swell. Earlier this spring, I had the dealer install the 62D and Independent lift. By itself, that's swell too.

This weekend I took the mower deck off, leaving all the linkages, etc. attached to the tractor. Just took the deck off like it is supposed to.

When I backed over the subframe for the 46BH and attempted to lift it onto the tractor, the frame hits the hydraulic cylinder and linkage of the independent lift. This leaves you about 2" short of the connection points on both the front and rear of the subframe.

In order to get the backhoe on, my father and I had to COMPLETELY remove the independent lift from the tractor. This involves made-in-the-USA metric bolts, cotter pins and other hardware obviously not intended to be quick interchange.

I double-checked JD's website, and there is no mention of this incompatibility, so it appears that the backhoe engineers and the mower engineers need to do lunch sometime soon at JD HQ. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Meanwhile, I strongly recommend that folks considering a BH forego the independent lift. JD's website says that a lock-up pin for the mechanical lift will be available yet this spring which will keep those lift arms off the ground when using the 3PT without the mower deck attached.

/ 46 Backhoe vs. 62D Indepdnt Lift #2  
I promise it won't be as bad the next time. Like I said in another post my dealer and I planned for this by changing everything to spring and lynch pins to make it easier. Only tools I needed were two wrenches to remove the 4 bolts. Even the hydraulic cylinder has spring pins and zip ties for the lines. We thought about the mech lift but the 3pt hitch and mower drafts arms have to be removed anyway to use the BH. If I have to do any extra work I'd rather have the ind lift. The only easier thing would be to get rid of the 46BH and get a woods 3pt BH but you would give up the stability of a sub-frame mount which I like.