3120 gets no respect

/ 3120 gets no respect #1  

Garrabo

Banned
Tractor
3120,X-575,BX1830,BX22
The 3120 gets bashed alot on this site and it does an injustice to anyone looking at purchasing one. The 3120 is as capable as the rest. The extra HP of the 3320,3520,etc, does not translate into more breakout force on the hoe does it? I have a 3120 and there is absolutely no complaints on its abilities. 0.5 hp away from being 30 does not place a stigma on this tractor. I cant let a fine tractor like the 3120 be misrepresented. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ 3120 gets no respect
The 3120 gets bashed alot on this site and it does an injustice to anyone looking at purchasing one. The 3120 is as capable as the rest. The extra HP of the 3320,3520,etc, does not translate into more breakout force on the hoe does it? I have a 3120 and there is absolutely no complaints on its abilities. 0.5 hp away from being 30 does not place a stigma on this tractor. I cant let a fine tractor like the 3120 be misrepresented. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ 3120 gets no respect #3  
G-

I do not think a 3120 is misrepresented as a bad tractor. I also believe there exists a market for the tractor, lest JD not make it. They have a very good marketing and sales department. The main problem I have with the 3120 is that it is priced very close to the more powerful tractors. I wish JD would delineate the pricing a bit more so they could sell more of them. I noted in a previous post that my dealer who sells a boatload of tractors says he cannot sell them well. The only explanation either he or I have for that is the lower HP relative to the cost. My dealer might be an anomaly, but I doubt it. Looking at other dealers in my area, they all seem to have some 3120's on the lot that they cannot move. That said, I think the 3120 is an excellent machine. If one does not have a huge amount of PTO work to be done, or might be interested in stepping from a small frame compact to a mid frame without spending a lot more money, or lives in a relatively flat area, I think the 3120 is a great choice. You are exactly correct in the fact that the 3120 has just as much hydraulic flow for attachments as the higher horse mid-frames. So thusly, if one has a backhoe and is digging all day, the 3120 would do just as well as a 3720 at less cost. I think that one has to look at the tasks a machine is going to do and buy accordingly. For me and where I live, a 3120 would struggle some, but say for my dad who lives in a flatter area, it would be fine. I posted in the general forum about six months ago about this very question: "how does horsepower affect performance?" and the answers were varied and points of view very interesting. It also was one of the more popular discussions in that segment, so obviously there is some debate. In short, I think the 3120, specifically your 3120, is a very nice machine. I am glad you have one and I know it does well for you. I feel JD needs to price the 3120 more competitively v. the higher HP mid frames so dealers like my friend can move some (thankfully he only preordered two). I also think that JD did a big disservice to the 3120 by coming out with the 3203. Interestingly, it has the 32 hp engine, I wonder why that would be?

John M

/ 3120 gets no respect #4  
G-

I do not think a 3120 is misrepresented as a bad tractor. I also believe there exists a market for the tractor, lest JD not make it. They have a very good marketing and sales department. The main problem I have with the 3120 is that it is priced very close to the more powerful tractors. I wish JD would delineate the pricing a bit more so they could sell more of them. I noted in a previous post that my dealer who sells a boatload of tractors says he cannot sell them well. The only explanation either he or I have for that is the lower HP relative to the cost. My dealer might be an anomaly, but I doubt it. Looking at other dealers in my area, they all seem to have some 3120's on the lot that they cannot move. That said, I think the 3120 is an excellent machine. If one does not have a huge amount of PTO work to be done, or might be interested in stepping from a small frame compact to a mid frame without spending a lot more money, or lives in a relatively flat area, I think the 3120 is a great choice. You are exactly correct in the fact that the 3120 has just as much hydraulic flow for attachments as the higher horse mid-frames. So thusly, if one has a backhoe and is digging all day, the 3120 would do just as well as a 3720 at less cost. I think that one has to look at the tasks a machine is going to do and buy accordingly. For me and where I live, a 3120 would struggle some, but say for my dad who lives in a flatter area, it would be fine. I posted in the general forum about six months ago about this very question: "how does horsepower affect performance?" and the answers were varied and points of view very interesting. It also was one of the more popular discussions in that segment, so obviously there is some debate. In short, I think the 3120, specifically your 3120, is a very nice machine. I am glad you have one and I know it does well for you. I feel JD needs to price the 3120 more competitively v. the higher HP mid frames so dealers like my friend can move some (thankfully he only preordered two). I also think that JD did a big disservice to the 3120 by coming out with the 3203. Interestingly, it has the 32 hp engine, I wonder why that would be?

John M

/ 3120 gets no respect
Great hypothesis, when I purchased my 3120 I knew nothing of the 3000 series I was there looking at a 4115. The dealer showed me the 3120 claimimg it was a better choice for the money. I'm glad I went ahead a went above what I was there for. (not to say the 4115 wouldent of been nice). Deere did a really good job on the 3020 series of tractors. The more I operate it the more it grows on me. I agree deere kind of messed up with the pricing vs HP thing, kinda puts the 3120 at lesser odds. But at any cost you cant go wrong with this tractor lineup. I will say that at 200 RPM my 3120 will soar up the hill in my back yard, pulls itself well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3120 gets no respect
Great hypothesis, when I purchased my 3120 I knew nothing of the 3000 series I was there looking at a 4115. The dealer showed me the 3120 claimimg it was a better choice for the money. I'm glad I went ahead a went above what I was there for. (not to say the 4115 wouldent of been nice). Deere did a really good job on the 3020 series of tractors. The more I operate it the more it grows on me. I agree deere kind of messed up with the pricing vs HP thing, kinda puts the 3120 at lesser odds. But at any cost you cant go wrong with this tractor lineup. I will say that at 200 RPM my 3120 will soar up the hill in my back yard, pulls itself well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3120 gets no respect #7  
Garrabo: I posted that I went to the dealer to order the 3120 and ended up ordering the 3520....not because the 3120 was a bad machine or underpowered, but because the dealer told me that the 3120 "probably would run" a flail mower but perhaps at a reduced speed. Now, trying to corelate his words into should, or could, and looking at Deere's specs as to running a flail mower, I decided to go for the extra PTO HP of the 3520 for when I do get the flail mower. It was my future needs that dictated that I spend a bit more on the 3520 right from the gitgo.

If I had not had a need to run a flail mower, the 3120 would have been my tractor of choice. Now that being said, my dealer said that he thought the 3120 would be a hot seller in our area....but not so. He is selling two 3520's for every 3120....so pricing may be an issue here.

Now I'm starting to get anxious for the delivery of the new tool.

Jon

/ 3120 gets no respect #8  
Garrabo: I posted that I went to the dealer to order the 3120 and ended up ordering the 3520....not because the 3120 was a bad machine or underpowered, but because the dealer told me that the 3120 "probably would run" a flail mower but perhaps at a reduced speed. Now, trying to corelate his words into should, or could, and looking at Deere's specs as to running a flail mower, I decided to go for the extra PTO HP of the 3520 for when I do get the flail mower. It was my future needs that dictated that I spend a bit more on the 3520 right from the gitgo.

If I had not had a need to run a flail mower, the 3120 would have been my tractor of choice. Now that being said, my dealer said that he thought the 3120 would be a hot seller in our area....but not so. He is selling two 3520's for every 3120....so pricing may be an issue here.

Now I'm starting to get anxious for the delivery of the new tool.

Jon

/ 3120 gets no respect #9  
It is interesting that the only two attachments listed in the attachment brochure for the mid frames for which the 3120 is not rated are the flail mower and the sickle bar. My neighbor ran a sickle cutter for two years here clipping the roadside with his 4210, which has 26.5 hp. Also, one thing of note: we talk about HP, but torque is really the name of the game. At about 56 lb-ft of torque, the new 3120 is 1 lb-ft. shy of the older 4310, which was one of the most popular tractors ever sold by JD. Interesting how power corrupts, as we did just fine on machines before that some now consider underpowered. I have to also admit this myself.

John M

/ 3120 gets no respect #10  
It is interesting that the only two attachments listed in the attachment brochure for the mid frames for which the 3120 is not rated are the flail mower and the sickle bar. My neighbor ran a sickle cutter for two years here clipping the roadside with his 4210, which has 26.5 hp. Also, one thing of note: we talk about HP, but torque is really the name of the game. At about 56 lb-ft of torque, the new 3120 is 1 lb-ft. shy of the older 4310, which was one of the most popular tractors ever sold by JD. Interesting how power corrupts, as we did just fine on machines before that some now consider underpowered. I have to also admit this myself.

John M