Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs?

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
I am just asking. distance is roughly 45-50 minutes. One guy lives out this way anyway, though. I'd probably be an extra 20 minutes out of his way. I kind of feel like I should have factored in the price of a trailer to haul my tractor, but I never anticipated so many major problems. My dealer has transported it a couple of times, presumably as a "favor" but has let me know hat they cannot pick up/deliver even a broke tractor for free. they charge 100 bucks for each...round trip 200 bucks. I sure don't want to say anything negative about them, and Im really just checking myself against you guys and the service you have recieved from your dealer. I can't afford a trailer but feel like I'm going to be forced to buy one. The tractor was never anticipated to be moved a greater distance than it could drive, so I feel like it would be a shame to buy a trailer for the sole purpose of getting a new tractor repaired!

This was the first new tractor I ever bought, so I am just wondering if I am being unreasonable. Right now I am dealing with an overheating problem...and while it is still under warranty, i'm sure if I run it to hot ande damage it it won't be covered under warranty, so I'm not sure what to do, and quite frustrated, and frankly a little ashamed im in this situation since I have bragged about my dealer in the past, before problems started to arise. Someone tell me I'm just being unreasonable.

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #2  
Some will (reasonable), some won't (frugal), I would imagine a lot of times they will stop doing it free after a while. I got a trailer and there are 3 dealers within 15 miles of me, one which is within 8 miles. I buy attachments 15 miles away (cheaper by hundereds), getting a service performed 8 miles away sofar at this new location.

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs?
Nuru said:
Some will (reasonable), some won't (frugal), I would imagine a lot of times they will stop doing it free after a while. I got a trailer and there are 3 dealers within 15 miles of me, one which is within 8 miles. I buy attachments 15 miles away (cheaper by hundereds), getting a service performed 8 miles away sofar at this new location.

I hear you, but as far as them stopping doing it free after a while, it's not like it is routine service, we are talking broke...not bent, but broke, inoperable. I'm just thinking that if I were the salesman, and sold some old boy a NEW tractor and it developed issues which deadlined the equipment, I'd be stumbling over myself to make it right.

I want to hay about 10 acres of new ground in september, and what that means is I need to be working the land right now, plowing, raking, plowing again, to be ready. I am not a man of means, and I bought the tractor to do real work on a 60 acre parcel. Not knocking those who buy tractors for any other purpose, just saying the work needs to be done now and a guy shouldn't have to buy a trailer just to get repairs on a new machine. what do you make of a two hundred dollar fee though?

I forgot to say their radio add offers "free pick up and delivery" but does not specify.

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #4  
I feel your pain!My tractor has been at the dealership 4 of the last 11 months. It does seem that they are finnally getting the issues resolved but I have to drive it there for warrenty issues 50 + miles each way. Don't get me wrong I love John Deere's I must have just gotten a lemon this time. But the dealer is addressing ever issue and seam to be making some head way to resolve all of the issues.

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #5  
My dealer told me before the sale that transport, if needed for anything, in the first 3 months is on him. I live 40 miles, 1 hour, away. After that he will always work to make it right, and stand behind his work.

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #6  
My dealer offered to pick up and return for all warranty work during the 2 year warranty. My dealer is only about 6 miles away and one of their techs lives about 1.5 miles from me. So any time I have a problem, he swings by after work and determines if it needs to head into the shop or whether do work on it at my place.
Now of course this is for warranty only, if I want it hauled there for an oil change, there would be a charge.

Iowa2210

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #7  
andrew,
Have you thought about renting a trailer? If a uhaul dealer is close, that might same you some money. My dealer rents a few different things. If your dealer has a trailer that he rents, he might make you a very good deal on it. These are just some thoughts to try to same you some money.

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #8  
Farmingdale Tractor has been great so far and has offered free towing to install my attachments as they come in, but I only live about 15 minutes away.

I'd love to get a trailer for my green toy, but I've only got a 5000lb Class 3 hitch. The 2000lb tractor plus about 1000lbs of attachments plus 1500lbs for a trailer leave little margin for error in my weight guesstimates. Then if I liquid-fill the tires...

I think I've decided that I need a work truck and an every-day car (no sense in using a big diesel towing machine to pick up milk and eggs - or to drive down to Maryland to handle a customer demo). That way I'm protected in case the dealer stops offering free tows and I can drive down to Toms River to help out my buddy every so often.

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs? #9  
Mine delivered free, and would haul for the first year of warranty free. He will also often run offers to haul free if you spring for a 'service' (like the 50 hour service).

My guy is over 25 miles away and I believe he quoted me $50 or $60 for a 2-way haul, which I considered more than fair given the distance.

They are out my way occasionally but not a real regular basis so it is off their beaten path. (I saw the delivery roll-back go by this weekend with a brand new 6000-series and a JD round baler. Someone paid some big bucks! :D )

/ Will your JD dealer pick up your new tractor for repairs?
JerryG said:
andrew,
Have you thought about renting a trailer? If a uhaul dealer is close, that might same you some money. My dealer rents a few different things. If your dealer has a trailer that he rents, he might make you a very good deal on it. These are just some thoughts to try to same you some money.

im no where near a rental place. for me to travel to the city, pick up a trailer, go home, go to dealer, take trailer back or just wait ($$$) would be 3/4 of a day. the suggestion of having to buy a trailer just do deal with tractor problems that are not my fault just rubs me the wrong way - If I had known all this, the question of "will you pick up/deiver for warranty work" would have been a material term in my decision of brand, and certainly, what dealer.

If you save 500 bucks by going to one dealer, but that means you are out 2500 for a trailer, how much have you really saved?