Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #1  

Woody_NH

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320
Recently I reported a temporary failure of rockshaft operation at 66 hours and noted that the dealer suspected a particle of metal got caught in the bypass valve.
The dealer recommended changing transmission fluid and filter at 50 hours and was surprised to learn that the manual called only for changing engine oil/filter at 50h.

I changed at 67 hours and found metal shavings in the hydraulic suction filter: about ten particles in the 3mm to 4mm size range, another ten in the 2mm size range and many very small particles. They all looked like shavings from a drilling or milling operation; probably left over from the machining of the castings. The in line filter was clean.

Given what I found I would support the dealer's recommendation to change the trans oil/filter on 33xx series machines at 50 hours even if the manual does not call for it.

The following is some info on fluid/filter change experience:

Get a big plastic tub; about 7 gal of fluid will drain quickly. I got a 58 qt (14.5 gal) tub at Wal-Mart. Have cat litter on hand, you will probably spill some (well, I did).

The filter cap is 4.5" in diameter; I got a large filter band wrench at VIP auto designed for Cummins/Detriot filters. A standard oil filter wrench will not do it.

The labeling of the diagram on page 64 of the manual in not correct, the nut (H) to be removed with internal element is on the right side of the filter, not the left side.

My e-hydro holds more than 6.8 gal. The 6.8 gal filling will get you just about to the "low" mark on the dip stick. My machine was just a little above half was between low and full on the dip stick prior to the change (cold level) and I drained out about 7.1 gal on the change.

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #2  
Wow. Thanks for the information. I love this place.

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #3  
I just had mine in the shop for some added hydraulics. They checked it over for the same rock shaft problem and found nothing. I will change it though. It has 160 hours on it.

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #4  
Did it fix the rockshaft problem?

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change
Jeepinator, The rockshaft is working fine now, time will tell I guess. If the dealer theory is correct, a particle was caught in the bypass valve and then flushed out when I restarted the tractor, sort of a random event. The dealer went on to say that a similar problem could have occurred with elsewhere in the fluid path: loader for example.
Given the metal shavings that I found, I am glad that I did the work. I suspect that every new tractor is going to have some metal shavings floating around.

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #6  
I replaced my hydro fluid at about 60 hours on my 3320- the inline filter was clean and I didn't find any metal shavings when replacing the filter and cleaning out the housing. My strap wrench wouldn't remove the housing cover- it took a 16" channel lock to get it off. I haven't had any rockshaft problems- but I have noticed when using it that it has gotten quite loud (screeching etc) but still works fine with no unusal leak down.

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #7  
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering your guys rockshafts are doing now. I am having some screeching and what I believe is leakdown. My 3520 has about 98 hours. I have not changed the hydro fluid but am considering as I dont really want to take it to the dealer to check the problems I am having.

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #8  
Bumping for my 200hr service coming up.

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #9  
Just seems weird - I'm on my second 2xxx series, and they both call for hydraulic fliud/filter change at 50 hours.

Wonder why the 3xxx series would have a different change interval - what does it call for in the manual?

/ Report on 3320 hydraulic fluid/filter change #10  
3320 Service Intervals.

As Needed
· Replace alternator belt.

· Replace air filter elements (see air restriction indicator).

· Replace light bulbs.

· Lubricate seat slide rails.

· Replace fuses.

· Clean and replace battery.

· Replace radiator hoses and clamps.

· Check tire air pressure.

· Clean fuel tank overfill reservoir.

· Drain water and sediment from fuel tank.

· Check and adjust front wheel toe-in.

· Check and clean grille and side screens.

· Check and clean radiator cooling screen.

· Clean debris from engine compartment.

After First 10 Hours
· Check wheel bolt torque.

Every 10 Hours or Daily
· Test safety systems.

· Check engine oil level.

· Check transmission oil level.

· Check air filter rubber dust unloading valve.

· Check radiator coolant level.

After First 50 Hours
· Change engine oil and filter.

Every 50 Hours
· Check front axle oil level.

· Lubricate machine.

Every 200 Hours

· Inspect alternator belt.

· Check air restriction indicator light.

· Check wheel bolt torque.

· Service water separator.

Every 400 Hours
· Change transmission oil and filter.

· Replace fuel filter.

Every 600 Hours
· Check engine low idle speed.

· Check air filter intake hoses and clamps.

· Change front axle oil.

· Check front axle thrust bolt torque.

· Check brake adjustment.

Yearly

· Check radiator coolant freeze point and clarity.

· Drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filter.

· Check all hoses and clamps.

· Check battery electrolyte level.

Every 1200 Hours
· Check and clean inline hydraulic filter.

· Check engine valve clearance. See your John Deere dealer.

Every Two Years or 2000 Hours
· Flush and replace factory coolant. Flush cooling system and replace coolant with John Deere COOL-GARD engine coolant.