E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #1  

Dirtboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Cant decide
Hi guys, I know this subject has been beaten to death. Im gettin close to ordering my new tractor and this is the last option hurdle. Ive never operated an E-Hydro and have very limited use of A reverser (on A case backhoe). My uses for the tractor will be: Some Loader work(rock, snow,dirt, ect.). Rough cutting fairly open acreage. Plowing and discing gardens. Backhoe work. It would be great to hear from folks who have some real world experiance using these trannys especially the power reverser as there is already tons of info on the hydro.

Thanks, Mike

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #2  
I have an old 4400 with clutch, F&R lever, & 2 shift levers, with nearly 1900 hours on it. The universal joints on all 3 shift levers are bad (held together with hose clamps & prayers) & the clutch is slipping enough that it's easy to overheat & leave the tractor dead in the water if you're not careful. :eek: I'm almost to the point of seriously considering splitting the chassis & replacing the clutch packs, & NOT looking forward to it!

If I was to get a new tractor, it would be hydro. I like the idea of constant engine speed with variable ground speed (my X304 garden tractor is hydro & I love it).

That's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth!

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #3  
You're right there is almost endless debate on tranny types - my "insight" is purely on the e-Hydro - I love it. I've had it for over 2 years and I have no regrets.

Good Luck with what ever type you get - they are truly amazing tools.

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #4  
Except for the loader work where the hydro has the edge, a powerreverser would be better for your listed tasks. The hydro will use at least 10% more fuel to do the same jobs and will reduce your maximum drawbar horsepower by a comparable ammount.

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #5  
Everyone has his/her preference, but hydro is the way to go in my mind. I cannot think of a single situation where PowerReverser has an advantage. At best it would be equal in some wide open jobs, but in all other tractoring things I can think of hydro is the preferred choice. Also, for resale, it opens up another group of people to operate a given machine. Go with the hydro if you at all can.

John M

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #6  
I have a 4510 with power reverser. I'm happy with what I have but if I were doing it again I'd get the hydro for ease of control.

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #7  
For sure lots of debate, and everyone has their own preference. I for one, don't like having to push a foot pedal to control my ground speed.

I own a 4310 with e-power reverser and find it superior to an e-hydro for my purposes. I agree that the hydro would be superior for loader work, but don't find mine to be a problem.

Please understand that I grew up using shift tractors and even the power reverser was a big step for me (grin).

As wolc123 points out, the hydro will cost you more in fuel consumption. With today's prices that might be something to consider.

My advice, drive both of them and see which one feels best to you. This is a personal preference question and nobody else can make those decision for you.

Have fun deciding.

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #8  
I like the e-hydro cause i'm lazy,no shifting gears,cruise control,can hold a cold beverage at anytime.I hade a Ford Jubilee and had to shift,I like the e-hydro.I think if I had to do industrial/heavy construction work i'd go for the gears.

Mike

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series #9  
I've got a lot of hours running heavy equipment, I've used both & I chose the e-hydro, I find the hydro is easier to manage in most situations. I also question the e-hydro fuel penalty that some have mentioned unless you are running the engine at full speed all the time. However I definitely agree with the poster who reccomended trying them both out and deciding for yourself. You are the final user and you have to be happy with the choice. Some people like cars with standard transmissions and some people like automatics, it's up to you and your style & comfort level with each.

BILL

/ E-Hydro VS Power-reverser in 4000 series
Thanks all, is the E-Hydro the same on the bigger compacts as on my X485 mower? Im lookin at A 4320.