Driving Tractor on Roads

/ Driving Tractor on Roads #1  

dfeck

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I own a JD4310 and was wondering about the effects of driving full out on roads. What is the harm (mechanically) driving on paved roads other than the obvious (tire wear). I had to drive about 4 miles to my church and baseball fields to do a little loader work over the weekend. I drove in high gear at about 2200rpm's with the lights and flashers on. I noticed the transmission and rear axles were hot to the touch after the drive but is this normal? I have turf tires and HST transmission on my tractor.

Thanks,
Doug

/ Driving Tractor on Roads #2  
Should not be a problem other that what you mentioned. JUST be nice to the cars, if a few stack up pull over and let them by, keeps everyone cool and calm. Don't be like the hay cutter I passed on Hwy 19 this past weekend. Driving a big NH with a Kuhn cutter on it. Driving on the highway portion of the road. The road is basically a 2 lane highway but the shoulder is bigh enough for another lane. He had plenty of room for him and the cutter but stayed on the main lane. No excuse but being an idiot!

Be safe.

/ Driving Tractor on Roads #3  
No harm will come, just make sure the mfwd is disengaged.

/ Driving Tractor on Roads #4  
RobJ said:
Should not be a problem other that what you mentioned. JUST be nice to the cars, if a few stack up pull over and let them by, keeps everyone cool and calm. Don't be like the hay cutter I passed on Hwy 19 this past weekend. Driving a big NH with a Kuhn cutter on it. Driving on the highway portion of the road. The road is basically a 2 lane highway but the shoulder is bigh enough for another lane. He had plenty of room for him and the cutter but stayed on the main lane. No excuse but being an idiot!

Be safe.

That's actually what he is supposed to do. He should pull over to let cars go by if he gets more than 5 (in Oregon) stacked up. But it is illegal to drive on the shoulder, even for tractors, unless you are in trouble (or mowing). It is a good way to snag fences and mailboxes too. Don't ask how I know this :)