2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry)

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #1  

impnst8

Tractor
JD 2305
I purchased my 2305 last fall from Deere Country Farm and Lawn, Allentown, PA, but had to wait until this year for the 62"mmm with independent lift to arrive. I had the mmm installed about 2 months ago and have since had problems. First, the mmm doesn't stay up. When raised to full height, it takes only about a minute for the deck to drop to the wheels. Second problem, they installed the hydraulic hose brackets over the 4 wheel drive lever...thus, there's no way to pull the lever up and engage the 4wd.

Now the real problem. When the dealer took the tractor, they did the mmm, independent lift install plus a service call (oil change, fuel filter change, checked fluids) which I had asked to have done. I got a $2250.00 bill when they delivered the tractor which I paid in cash. I soon discovered the mechanical problems then a week later, I got a second bill in the mail for the service charges ($90.00) which they had not put on the first bill. I called the dealer with my problems and was told that they would have to contact the factory for answers to my problems. I had not paid the $90.00 bill, and had not heard back regarding a fix for the 2305

Today, 07/24/06 I get a call from Dave, Service Manager, (610) 398-2553, asking for his $90. I explained that he had not fixed, nor attempted to fix my problems, so I haven't sent payment. He said that unless he gets his $$$, he's not going to touch my tractor and start charging me interest. He stated that it was a mistake to let the tractor out of his shop without payment. I said that since I had already paid $2250 and still have problems, he should worry about a fix for my 2305 before worrying about this payment.

Anyway, I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, but I would think that any reputable dealer would be bending over backwards to fix his shop's erroneous work and deliver a functioning product before demanding payment. Sorry to say that at the end of our heated conversations, I blinked, lifted my skirt and gave him a cc# to pay the $90. He promised to have someone come and look at my 2305 by the end of the week.

I know that there are JD dealers posting...I'd like your opinions too.

So, who's the A-hole, and who's the fool???

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #2  
Well, I hope they meant this week. They should reroute the hydraulic hose at no expence to you because it is there mistake. The MMM with independant lift droping is another thing. They all do it and nobody is proud of it. I think most of us lock the deck in the highest position and just live with it.

The money is another problem. If it was me I would play his game untill all the problems were solved and then go to the owner and discuss it. If that was not satisfactory I would not burn any bridges on my way out the door because some of the employes will move on to new jobs and they may remember you if you go to there new buisness. Then find a new dealer. They will lose a good deal of proffit on parts and repairs over the life of the tractor.

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #3  
First of all, i agree with bigtiller that the independent lift kits all seem to leak down quickly. I would hope there is a cure coming for this, but I haven't heard of any yet. Second, I assume the $2250.00 you paid on delivery was for the mower deck and installation. $90.00 for engine oil and filter change, and fuel filter change seems reasonable so I guess You really needed to pay that, although it was their fault for not giving you the bill to start with. Third, there is no excuse for the dealer to not get back to you about the hose/fitting routing problem. They should have taken care of this asap since it was their error. Hopefully it was an oversight on their part. I would have been calling weekly until they got it fixed. Good luck.

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #4  
I work for an ag equipment delership in customer service. I have been through this with with customers. I do not have or will have a problem with a customer not paying for something that is not repaired as it was supposed to have been. It is my responsibility to take care of my customers so they stay my customers. Repeat customers are what keeps me in business. Period. As a customer, I expect a dealership to give me the same sort of service that I give my customers. Not to pat myself on the back but, I have yet to find any dealer that can come close to matching what I do. After the sale phone calls, stopping to see the customer, offering to take parts home with me to save them a trip. All that said if he wanted to be a jerk about it I probably would have paid him also and waited to see what happens. If the problem wasn't addressed and fixed in a week the next phone call would be to the owner to explain to him why he was loosing a customer. Some guys just dont get it. I just bought a 2305 and am not looking forward to my first mechanical problem that needs dealer service. Let me know how it turns out.

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #5  
impnst8 said:
I purchased my 2305 last fall from Deere Country Farm and Lawn, Allentown, PA, but had to wait until this year for the 62"mmm with independent lift to arrive. I had the mmm installed about 2 months ago and have since had problems. First, the mmm doesn't stay up. When raised to full height, it takes only about a minute for the deck to drop to the wheels. Second problem, they installed the hydraulic hose brackets over the 4 wheel drive lever...thus, there's no way to pull the lever up and engage the 4wd.

Now the real problem. When the dealer took the tractor, they did the mmm, independent lift install plus a service call (oil change, fuel filter change, checked fluids) which I had asked to have done. I got a $2250.00 bill when they delivered the tractor which I paid in cash. I soon discovered the mechanical problems then a week later, I got a second bill in the mail for the service charges ($90.00) which they had not put on the first bill. I called the dealer with my problems and was told that they would have to contact the factory for answers to my problems. I had not paid the $90.00 bill, and had not heard back regarding a fix for the 2305

Today, 07/24/06 I get a call from Dave, Service Manager, (610) 398-2553, asking for his $90. I explained that he had not fixed, nor attempted to fix my problems, so I haven't sent payment. He said that unless he gets his $$$, he's not going to touch my tractor and start charging me interest. He stated that it was a mistake to let the tractor out of his shop without payment. I said that since I had already paid $2250 and still have problems, he should worry about a fix for my 2305 before worrying about this payment.

Anyway, I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, but I would think that any reputable dealer would be bending over backwards to fix his shop's erroneous work and deliver a functioning product before demanding payment. Sorry to say that at the end of our heated conversations, I blinked, lifted my skirt and gave him a cc# to pay the $90. He promised to have someone come and look at my 2305 by the end of the week.

I know that there are JD dealers posting...I'd like your opinions too.

So, who's the A-hole, and who's the fool???
I think they owe you an apology for their poor customer relations. What did they say when you told them about your 4WD being incapacitated? I have never heard of such a bone head placement of a bracket. You are right, speak to his boss and let him know your doing so.

John

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #6  
Bottom line is: Dealers in all industries are making their money on sales, not service. That's why they only care about sales. There are enough people buying that they don't have to take care of their customers. They simply don't need them.

I have seen it every day in my industry for the last 26 years. I have experience it with my 2305.

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #7  
rvtech -

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that "dealers in all industries are making their money on sales, not service". I am good friends with service department managers at a local GMC/Pontiac dealer and a local marine dealer. The service departments are the cash cows - they might only make a few hundred on the new car sale. I get my Suburban serviced there (non-routine stuff) and they make a point of making sure that everything is right. I think this may vary from dealer to dealer...

Sorry to hear of the trouble with your 2305 - my only suggestion would have been to hound them a bit to get the hydraulics re-routed sooner. The "drop" with the independent lift seems to be a common theme on this forum - it was one of the reasons I chose not to get it with my new 2305. Hopefully they find a solution to it very soon!

Good luck!

Scott

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #8  
A simple work around for the deck drop is to raise deck and set height adjustment knob to its full up/highest setting. This keeps the deck against the mechanical stop.

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #9  
if this is the whole story, i would be on the phone with the owner immediately. if i didnt get it corrected through him, id be dealing directly with deere. you have to deal with people who have a financial interest compelling them. i had a problem with my salesman after the sale of my 3520. he didnt think the fact that the pre-delivery routine wasnt done on my tractor was a big deal. i did. the fact that i, as the customer, thought it was a big deal, should mean it was a big deal. after about 4 days of getting the run around from the salesman, i contacted the owner of the store. i simply asked that he get someone to my house and do the things that werent done. he sent a mechanic AND the salesman to my house(60 miles away) the next morning. the salesman had a corrected attitude when he arrived. we have since had a great relationship. it was just a matter of getting someone involved who had a financial stake in the service given to customers.

/ 2305 problems...Dealer and mechanical (long...sorry) #10  
rvtech said:
Bottom line is: Dealers in all industries are making their money on sales, not service. That's why they only care about sales. There are enough people buying that they don't have to take care of their customers. They simply don't need them.

I have seen it every day in my industry for the last 26 years. I have experience it with my 2305.
There is money in parts and service. Why would there be an auto repair shop on almost every corner if there wasn't? And the dealer charges alot more than an independent.
John