Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed #1  

BloomingtonMike

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
This weekend I checked the battery out again and the corrosion was back again. I had just cleaned up the battery, cables, and cooler earlier this spring when the topic came up on this board. I looked Sunday and it was back. I have had enough.

I took everything apart and cleaned everything up with the battery acid neutralizer spray, rinsed and dried everything and then got out the can of black high heat tractor spray paint and touched up the cooler to protect it against rust in the future (heck it might be aluminum but at least it looks good now) and touched up the battery tray as well. Went and bought a Yellow Top Model YEL51. They did not have the YEL51R so I just turned the YEL51 180 degrees and it worked perfectly.

I took my dremel and very carefully carved a slit into the plastic between the cells (NOT INTO the Battery Itself but in the extra plastic that makes up the handle slots on the Yellow Top YEL51) about 3/4" on each side at the height that the 3X20 battery brackets hit the battery. When I mounted the battery I took the brackets and turned them and inserted a corner into the slot I had carved into the battery handle. I then tightened it down and it is very very secure.

Then I also took a wader belt (elastic belt used for fishing waders) and double wrapped the battery and the battery tray width wise just for added stability and security. I then installed the battery post felt terminal protector pads soaked in the battery terminal protection (corrosion protectent) spray and installed the newly cleaned battery cables. Works beautifully.

batt1.jpg

batt2.jpg

batt3.jpg

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed #2  
Nice job. I am seeing some corrosion on my 4720 and need to get the same thing done. JD needs to start putting these Optima or other sealed batteries in at the factory. I have had 3 JD CUTS and all 3 have had the battery issue.

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed #3  
Hey Mike, very clean install and great post! Glad to see tha the 51 fits as well as the 51R did...

I keep thinking the battery issue is really a figment of our collective imaginations. But I guess not. No matter what I am certainly glad that I have my Optima.

I would suggest that any tractor owner make this swap. Not only does it eliminate the corrosion headaches, but it also allows more lights and other needed accessories to be added (drink cooler, stereo, etc.:eek:)

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed #4  
Very nice installation Mike. If you don't mind, how much did the battery cost you? I might be interested in doing this before I start having problems.

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed
Local F&F - it was $122 with no trade in ($7 trade in credit if I give them the old one) - Optima Prices swing on batterys at F&F - $122-$139 is what I have seen them go for. Yellow top 51s typically bring $100 or more at least.

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed
rockyridgefarm said:
I would suggest that any tractor owner make this swap. Not only does it eliminate the corrosion headaches, but it also allows more lights and other needed accessories to be added (drink cooler, stereo, etc.:eek:)

My next "Mod" will be at add a 30amp relay circuit for a 12VCigOutlet in the back that will be turned on by the light switch. When you turn on the forward lights it will close the relay circuit and provide 12V power to the power outlet. I have already ran an 8ga power wire for that circuit already. I will be installing it in a RadioShack kit box.

The main use for me for this for a 25ga Fimco sprayer I will mount to my carry all.
lg2500sm.jpg

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed #7  
Are you insinuating a sprayer is almost as important as a drink cooler?

rockyridgefarm said:
Are you insinuating a sprayer is almost as important as a drink cooler?

Ahh. great idea as well! I cannot drink alcohol but even so cold water or Diet Coke w/Lime cannot be beat sometimes!!!

BloomingtonMike said:
My next "Mod" will be at add a 30amp relay circuit for a 12VCigOutlet in the back that will be turned on by the light switch. When you turn on the forward lights it will close the relay circuit and provide 12V power to the power outlet. I have already ran an 8ga power wire for that circuit already. I will be installing it in a RadioShack kit box.

The main use for me for this for a 25ga Fimco sprayer I will mount to my carry all.
lg2500sm.jpg

30 amp relay mod is here

/ Added a Yellow Top to the 3320 today - Mounting Instructions and Pics Enclosed #10  
Hi, Mike,

Been searching for an Optima yellow 51/51R; apparently, they
are not being made due to the large number of warranty issues - this
I've heard from at least two of the dealers I talked to.

Am thinking about the slightly larger D35 or D75/25, but this requires
modifying or replacing the battery tray because the battery is
1.7 inches deeper than the 51.

I looked in the Deere manual for my 3520 and could not find
the battery group number or size. I'm not at home and can't
look at it for the next week or two.

Any idea what group it is?

Thanks,

Lon

P.S. Like the lighting mod and 12V outlet - nice touch.