Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #1  

jeepinator

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520, JD X739
My prediction is that blowing the dust out by putting a compressed air nozzle inside the filter and/or just knocking the stuff off is not as good as buying a new one...
But how bad is it?

I just ordered a new one as my light went on last weekend, but to get me by, I blasted that sucker with some air. I was truly impressed by the sheer volume of dirt that come off!

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #2  
There is nothing wrong with cleaning the primary filter with some compressed air and kind of gently tamping it (I use the top of the front tire of the tractor to do this. Rubber on rubber tends not to damage the edge of the filter) on its edge while doing so. Obviously this is not going to give you the same results as buying a new one, but carefully done every once in awhile as part of your maintenance routine can really extend the usable life of the filter. Too much pressure on to small a point though can and will damage the filter though so be careful. I rarely use more than 35 lbs or so when cleaning mine.

Richard
4320 Cab 400x FEL R4's

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #3  
jeepinator said:
My prediction is that blowing the dust out by putting a compressed air nozzle inside the filter and/or just knocking the stuff off is not as good as buying a new one...
But how bad is it?

Well, if your light went out, you are certainly OK until you can get a new filter.

I have been debating whether to just buy a new filter so I could change it when the light came on, which I know will be at 2:30 on Saturday afternoon, with a job half done. Thanks for reminding me of the old air compressor trick.

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #4  
joebobharley said:
There is nothing wrong with cleaning the primary filter with some compressed air and kind of gently tamping it (I use the top of the front tire of the tractor to do this. Rubber on rubber tends not to damage the edge of the filter) on its edge while doing so. Obviously this is not going to give you the same results as buying a new one, but carefully done every once in awhile as part of your maintenance routine can really extend the usable life of the filter. Too much pressure on to small a point though can and will damage the filter though so be careful. I rarely use more than 35 lbs or so when cleaning mine.

Richard
4320 Cab 400x FEL R4's

Yeah, that's how I clean them also. I've cleaned my filters many, many times before buying a replacement. My concern with this thread is running the tractor until the indicator light came on?? I run a new John Deere road grader as a sideline. I've saw the filter so dirty that a double hand full of dust would fall out of it each time I tap it on a tire, but the warning light or indicator hadn't tripped. How dirty do you have to let it get before that happens?? I've never seen an indicator come on. I clean my filters twice between oil changes and more frequently if doing some extremely dusty work. I replace them at 500 hours unless I find some damage that would limit it's ability to do it's job prior to that.

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #5  
I, too, have been cleaning air filters with compressed air for many years. As far as I know, the only reason some recommend against it is that too much air pressure concentrated in too small an area can tear, or blow a hole through, the filter fabric. As long as you don't damage the filter while doing it, it should be just fine.

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #6  
ovrszd said:
Yeah, that's how I clean them also. I've cleaned my filters many, many times before buying a replacement. My concern with this thread is running the tractor until the indicator light came on?? I run a new John Deere road grader as a sideline. I've saw the filter so dirty that a double hand full of dust would fall out of it each time I tap it on a tire, but the warning light or indicator hadn't tripped. How dirty do you have to let it get before that happens?? I've never seen an indicator come on. I clean my filters twice between oil changes and more frequently if doing some extremely dusty work. I replace them at 500 hours unless I find some damage that would limit it's ability to do it's job prior to that.

Can't speak to that ovrszd. I too have seen filters dirty just like you have but have never seen the air restrictor indicator come on either. Makes me wonder if his secondary may be contributing to some of the trouble.

Richard
4320 Cab 400X FEL R4's

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter
I have been doing some tilling and creating insane amounts of dust. I was thinking about the air filter and then the light came on. It was kinda eerie, actually.
After giving the filter a blast, the light has so far stayed off.

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #8  
Ha, I was just thinking about this yesterday and picked up a pri filter while I was at the dealership getting my pallet forks and 50hour service parts.

I always clean my air filters with compressed air until they get too dirty. I think it's crazy to just run them until the light goes on and then replace them. That's what they say to do in the manual though. But then the manual doesn't even mention the 50 hour break in service! I check them every oil change and every time I do some particularly dusty work, or whenever I have the hood up.
I use a low velocity air gun on the more delicate filters.

I picked up the filter anyway because like Dave said, when I really need it, it will be when the dealers are not open or I don't have time to get there.

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #9  
I, like the rest of you have been blowing my air filters of with compressed air TILL a very educated friend of mine told me I was disturbing/re-arranging the normal flow of the paper fibers designed to make it work properly. That had me wondering big time and it makes sense. I will blow the big junk out and I will buy a new one next time
Jim

/ Opinions on using compressed air to clean primary air filter #10  
MrJimi said:
I, like the rest of you have been blowing my air filters of with compressed air TILL a very educated friend of mine told me I was disturbing/re-arranging the normal flow of the paper fibers designed to make it work properly. That had me wondering big time and it makes sense. I will blow the big junk out and I will buy a new one next time
Jim
I too had a highly educated friend/mechanic of mine tell me that it damages the paper element and it lets more dirt and dust get by. BTW he does not work for JD or anyone affiliated with them in case you were thinking he just wants to make a percentage. Supposably the damage that occurs is so small you can't see it with the naked eye just like a single dirt/dust particle. On my 990 I have replaced my primary filter 3 times and it only has about 175 hours so far, but I do work in alot of dust with it.