Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions

/ Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions #1  

BloomingtonMike

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I make no guarantee or warranty on the supplied instructions. If you blow up your machine it is on you. No warranties explicit or implied, etc, etc. Read all instructions first and print them out if needed. This is an easy install rated at a #2 on a scale of 10 - 10 being most difficult.

I Wanted to install a 30 amp relay circuit that powered a 12V cigarette lighter receptacle, and wanted a switch to control these on my 3320. I wanted it to work once armed with my lights on. Lets get started.

1. Here are some of the parts you will need - 30amp relay, a 20-30amp fuse and fuse holder (try and match the fuse holder gauge wire to the ga wire you will run from the battery), a switch to install in the JD panel (I used a gator switch part number AM117324), and a Cigarette lighter plug receptacle of your choice - try and get one with a cap. A kit box from Radio Shack is optional as is a spade block - makes things easier to connect up and reconnect up in the future. Also some small screws and nuts to mount the relay and spade block in the kit box, some wire loom, zip ties, and some various barrel, blade, and spade wire connectors in size 16-14ga (blue) and 10-12ga (yellow), also a battery ring terminal and a ground ring terminal.

Tools are wire cutter, wire stripper/crimper, screw drivers, 10mm socket for 3X20/4X20 panel bolts, drill and bits to make holes in kit box, and scissors to cut the loom and zip tie ends.

We are going to need to make up some wires.

Wire #1. This will be the wire that goes from the battery to the rear of the tractor (or wherever you want to mount the relay). Go ahead and run this now being careful to mount it where it will not come in contact with too much heat, or any moving parts. Use loom as much as you can to shield this wire. Also zip tie it up and out of the way - also be mindful to mount this so that no debris from the ground can come in contact or snag this wire. Leave the wire disconnected from the battery for now (call this #X). At the rear tractor end leave this wire end (#A) alone for now.

Wire #2 will be the switch wire. Two strands of 14ga wire will be enough. Take apart your 3X20/4X20 panel now - two 10mm bolts and two Phillips screw hold it in place. Once it is removed, remove a space blank and install the new JD switch, At this time Loom, route, and zip tie the pair of 14ga wires now as well. For the 3X20 and 4X20 panel users use the existing loom and run these wires back to the rear of the tractor as well. At the switch end attach two Female blue blade connectors and plug them into the newly installed switch - it does not matter which wire connects to at all. At the rear of the tractor end of this wire, on one strand mount a male barrel connector (call this #Z). Leave the second end (#B) alone for now.

Wire #3 will be a short ground wire 8-10ga wire about 12" long. Mount a grounding ring terminal on one end that has a big enough diameter that a screw (that goes into metal) on the tractor can pass through. Leave the other end (#C) for now.

Wire #4 will be the negative low amperage wire. Take a piece of 14ga wire about 12" long and mount a female barrel connector to it (#Y). Leave the other end alone (#D).

Wire #5 powers the barrier strip. Take a piece of 10-12ga wire about 3" long and mount a female spade connector on one end (#E) and a 12ga spade connector on the other end (#F).

Take out your Radio shack kit box. On the base mount the relay and spade strip. On the coil there will be numbers - 30, 85, 86, 87. Pins 85 and 86 are the low amp coil pins and Pins 30 and 87 are the high amp circuit pins.

In the cover on one side mount your cig lighter receptacle and drill holes for the positive and negative wire from it. Push these two wires through and mount a spade connector to the positive (#G) and Negative (#H).

On the other side of the cover drill two 1/2" holes. In one hole Push through wire #A and mount the 12ga female blade connector.

In the other hole push through #B and mount a female blade connector.

Next Push through wire #C and mount a spade connector.

Next push through wire #D and mount a female blade connector.

OK lets begin to hook this circuit up.

The Spade strip I will refer to left to right top 1,2,3,4 and bottom 5,6,7,8.
So it looks like this:

Take #A and plug it into relay 87.
Take Wire #B and plug it into relay 85.
Take Wire #D and plug it into relay 86.
Take wire end #E and mount it into relay 30.

Take that wire's other End #F and screw it to spade block #1.
Take Cig receptacle positive #G and screw it to spade block #5.

Take Wire #C spade and screw it to spade block #4.
Take Cig receptacle negative #H and screw it to spade block #8.

Take female barrel connector #Y and plug it into the black connector at the back of the 3X20/4X20 where the additional lights connect to (or if you have another model/type of tractor, tap into any 12V ground.

Take male barrel connector #Z and plug it into the purple connector at the back of the 3X20/4X20 where the additional lights connect to (or if you have another model/type of tractor, tap into any switched 12V source such as a positive of a lighting circuit or switched 12v source.

Next bolt the ground to a secure metal connection - try and avoid painted surfaces.

Next at the battery wire up the fuse to #X also wire in a battery ring terminal. Connect up the fuse. Watch for smoke - just in case - if you follow this write up you will be fine :)

Everything is connected.

This is a good time to test if you have a bare wire male cig adapter and a volt meter. Connect the leads to the wires and insert the make plug into the lighter receptacle. Turn on the lights (3X20/4X20) or flip the switch that controls your 12 switched source. Then turn on you newly installed switch - switch in the panel in the case of this write up. It should activate the relay coil pins 85 and 96 closing the circuit in the relay and allowing 12V to pass between pins 30 and 87 from the battery. The lighter adapter is also grounded so you should see 12V on the volt meter. By turning off the switch you will shut down the relay and open the 12V positive circuit and the volt meter will read 0. The same if you turn off the lights or whatever you primary switch is - volt meter will read 0.

All in all I like this setup. I know when my lights are off EVERYTHING is OFF.

Here are some pictures as well to help reinforce the write up above.

Enjoy.

Mike Heidrick

First Pic - parts
c1.jpg

Second Pic - panel before switch
c2.jpg

Third - panel open - new switch installed - and wires at the switched plugged in and loomed.
c3.jpg

Fourth - New switched installed in panel
c4.jpg

Fifth - Switch wires and 8ga from battery at rear. One of these connectors and is wrong in the picture - I changed one of these to a male barrel connector (follow the instructions above - they are correct).
c5.jpg

Sixth - Installing the receptacle, wires, relay, and spade block in the kit box.
c6.jpg

Seventh - The installed kit box
c8.jpg

Eighth - Installing the fuse and battery ring terminal at the battery. I used a waterproof AGU fuse holder that is different than in picture 1 above.
c9.jpg

/ Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions #2  
Re: Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions

Excellant job Mike.

One thing. I think that your wire size is pretty critical. 12ga wire will drop almost 3 volts at room temp. 10 ga. is closer to 2volts and 8ga just over 1volt. (I am no engineer - consider these rough numbers...) Checking voltages with a good digital meter would be the safest bet, and my prove all that I say is hogwash. I am OK with that!

Good job!

Last edited:
   / Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions #3  
Re: Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions

Nice job bloomingtonmike.I just this weekend put in 4 light switches for my trailer marker lights option, grill strobes, amber beacon, and work lights.did you see the cut out outlines on the botton of you console if not I will show you when I post my pictures of my setup. Nice job

matthew3120

/ Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions

matthew3120 said:
Nice job bloomingtonmike.I just this weekend put in 4 light switches for my trailer marker lights option, grill strobes, amber beacon, and work lights.did you see the cut out outlines on the botton of you console if not I will show you when I post my pictures of my setup. Nice job

matthew3120

Please show me your install when you get a chance. I did see the marks but would love to see your install. My next install will be additional lights forward and rear and will control them seperately via JD switches. Would love to see how good your cutouts turned out. I designed my above circuit to add on the extra lights relatively easily.

/ Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions

rockyridgefarm said:
Excellant job Mike.

One thing. I think that your wire size is pretty critical. 12ga wire will drop almost 3 volts at room temp. 10 ga. is closer to 2volts and 8ga just over 1volt. (I am no engineer - consider these rough numbers...) Checking voltages with a good digital meter would be the safest bet, and my prove all that I say is hogwash. I am OK with that!

Good job!

Want me to get out the Velleman Scope I have and show you the curve??

/ Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions #6  

I will post the pictures at noon tomarrow so stay tuned.

matthew3120

/ Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions #7  

rockyridgefarm said:
Good intsurctions and pictorial overview.

Where is the DC outlet located? Is it behind the seat? What are you using the outlet for? Out of curiousity, if it's already controlled by the light switch, why did you want another switch?

Wire gauge is critical in low voltage systems. See the attached wire sizing chart, which is based on a 5% voltage drop. 10 AWG wire will get you 9 feet @ 30 Amps. 12 AWG wire will get you 8 feet @ 20 Amps. Exceed these distances and your voltage drop will be greater than 5%. It's a conservative chart but it's a good rule of thumb.

Attachments

• wire_sizing.JPG
    wire_sizing.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 10,614
   / Relay Circuit, Switch, and 12V Receptical installed on 3320 - Pics and Instructions #8  

Want me to get out the Velleman Scope I have and show you the curve

Don't worry... For starters, I read your post backwards on my first reading. I thought you said: match the wire size to the wire on the fuseholder - not the other way around.

But as the last post said, wire size is a big deal on low voltage. For most folks, the lower the voltage, the smaller the wire, and vice versa. But, in reality, it isn't just the opposite, it is times four! For every time you cut the voltage in half you need four times the wire size, so in the 13.8 volt range, you need much larger wire than in the 120 volt.

Anyway, I am sorry if I detracted from your great post, I only wanted to help others get a clean install, too.

Neophyte said:
Good intsurctions and pictorial overview.

Where is the DC outlet located? Is it behind the seat? What are you using the outlet for? Out of curiousity, if it's already controlled by the light switch, why did you want another switch?

Wire gauge is critical in low voltage systems. See the attached wire sizing chart, which is based on a 5% voltage drop. 10 AWG wire will get you 9 feet @ 30 Amps. 12 AWG wire will get you 8 feet @ 20 Amps. Exceed these distances and your voltage drop will be greater than 5%. It's a conservative chart but it's a good rule of thumb.

The DC outlet is located eactly behind the seat, middle of the ROPS, just to the left of the rear hydraulic outlets on the 3320.

I am using 8ga wire from the battery to the relay at the back of the tractor and I will only minimal voltage loss @30 amps as total distance is about 10'.

So the reason I use two swtches. Several really.
My main use is a 12V 25gal sprayer. I wanted an on/off control of the rear jets of the sprayer (80" swath) on the right hand side on the control center of the 3320. I could have just put in that switch to control the relay if I had a true "keyed switch" circuit from wich to draw that low power from. As it was there was the extra lighting taps already installed in the rear wich fit the bill perfectly. So what that does is allow me to use the sprayer with the lights on and switch on but still allow the sprayer to be controlled on the panel at the right. Just so you know, on these sprayers, if the nozzle valve is open and 12V is supplied, the pump runs constantly. The switch gives me the control that I wanted. Now I can drive along with it hooked to the 3pt, spray only my lane with roundup, and then turn it off until I get back to the back of the field where I want to spray again - all without leaving the tractor. Also at teh end of the day I know that if my lights are off (visual queue) that no other accessory that I connected up will still be drawing amperage.