"Stuff" on suction screen?

/ "Stuff" on suction screen? #1  

CVHoss

Gold Member
Tractor
J.D. 4400
\"Stuff\" on suction screen?

A couple of weeks ago, I did the 50 service on my 4400. When I removed the suction screen on the hydraulic system, there was a fair amount of a difficult to describe substance on the filter screen. It appeared to be a gelatinous, fibrous material. It's not like there was a pint of it, but a good sized shot glass of this stuff. I asked my dealer about it, and his suggestion was that at 100 hours to bring it in to them to have the fluid changed again, and they would look to see if there was anything wrong. This is a hydrostat tractor. Have any of you noticed material that sounds like this description when changing the fluid in your tractor?

Thanks,
Hoss

jdrsc.gif

/ "Stuff" on suction screen? #2  
Re: \"Stuff\" on suction screen?

When I did the 50-hour oil change on my 4300 I found a small amount of what I would describe as "dryer lint" on the suction strainer screen. When I scraped off all the material, I rolled it up into a ball about the size of a pea. It sounds like you had much more in yours. Other than that small amount of debris I found no other signs of dirt or filings anywhere in the transmission.

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

72% of all statistics are made up./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ "Stuff" on suction screen? #3  

Hoss,
I for sure don't know, but I believe the stuff is cellulose from wipe down cloth when the transmission/engine was assembled. Seems to stick on every burr when your trying to clean things up. Should all but disappear on your next change. I found similar stuff, but not nearly that amount on two different tractors on the first change.
Al

/ "Stuff" on suction screen?

Al,
Wet Cellulose is a darn good description. I asked the dealer if there was any kind of clutch pack in a hydrostat as it looked like what might get initially burnt off a new fiber clutch disk. There was a fair amount actually stuck on the screen but I managed to drag out more with my fingers from the housing the screen fits into. Guess time will tell.

Hoss

jdrsc.gif