weight and capacity of loader bucket

/ weight and capacity of loader bucket #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
Can some one tell me the weight and capacity of the standard 61" bucket for a 300CX loader and for a 72" bucket on the 400CX?

/ weight and capacity of loader bucket #2  
According to the specs I have a 400CX has a mass of 238 lbs. the lift capacity is:

2346 lbs. to max. height at pivot pin
1720 lbs. to max height

There is one parked in my driveway right now, attached to a 4120 w/ 448 bh. All are there on trial from the local JD dealer.

/ weight and capacity of loader bucket
Birdseye:
By capacity, I was wanting to know the cu. ft. heaped or level of the bucket. Thanks.

/ weight and capacity of loader bucket #4  
radman1 . . . I have a couple brochures and none of them show either the bucket weight or the capacity of the bucket. I'd suggest you check with your local dealer. (BTW, I looked at other manufacturer's brochures and a couple websites and didn't see them listing the information either). Also, you need to be specific about the bucket because John Deere offers different buckets, some are light duty and some are very stout heavy duty buckets.

birdseye said:
According to the specs I have a 400CX has a mass of 238 lbs. the lift capacity is:

2346 lbs. to max. height at pivot pin
birdseye . . . just so you know what those numbers you posted mean. If a loader has the lift capacity of 2346# to max height at the pivot point, then it has roughly 1642# of lift capacity for a load that is centered roughly 19.7" (500mm) in front of the pivot point. If the bucket weighs 238 pound, subtract the bucket weight from 1642# for a 'payload capacity' of roughly 1400# inside the bucket.

Based on industry averages, you need to "de-rate" the pivot point capacity by roughly 30% to find out the load capacity if the load is centered at the industry standard 500mm (19.7") point in front of the pivot point. The load capacity includes the weight of the bucket, forks or grapple, so to find out the "payload" capacity you have to subtract the weight of the bucket/forks/grapple to determine the amount of material you can lift to full height.

I was hoping someone had an operator manual for these loaders. This would probably state the struck/heaped capacity of a loader bucket. I plan to get a JD 300cx loader with skid steer attachment. The only listed JD bucket with skid steer attachment is 72". My next option is a JD worksite pro 66" foundry bucket which weighs 394# and has a struck capacity of 11.2 cu ft. I wanted to see how this compares to the standard 61" bucket for the 300cx or the 72" bucket.
I'm guessing the JD skid steer bucket is probably heavier and more capacity. My dealer seems somewhat clueless.

Last edited:
   / weight and capacity of loader bucket #6  
I just looked through my 300CX operators manual and I didn't find any information regarding the buckets. I have the 73" HD Bucket with Replaceable Cutting Edge and my 3320 easily handles it. It's my ballast that can't sometimes handle the amount of material that the 73" bucket can pick up.

Do you want the smaller bucket for tight spaces or are you worried that the 72" will be too big for the 300CX? If the latter, I wouldn't worry.

Do you have other Skid Steer Quick Attach items that you will be attaching to or are you getting it for future use?

Neophyte said:
I just looked through my 300CX operators manual and I didn't find any information regarding the buckets. I have the 73" HD Bucket with Replaceable Cutting Edge and my 3320 easily handles it. It's my ballast that can't sometimes handle the amount of material that the 73" bucket can pick up.

Do you want the smaller bucket for tight spaces or are you worried that the 72" will be too big for the 300CX? If the latter, I wouldn't worry.

Do you have other Skid Steer Quick Attach items that you will be attaching to or are you getting it for future use?

I currently have a 66" tooth bar from my previous Kubota that I want to use on the new JD bucket. Also for digging, I think a narrower bucket may be slightly better but this may not be noticable. A 72" bucket is also about a foot beyond either side of the tractor and may limit me in tight spaces. If I have big jobs, I use my Bobcat 873 with 80" bucket. The 873 is just too big and heavy for some jobs where the tractor would excell. The standard bucket for a 3000 twenty series loader is 61 inches. Also a JD skid steer bucket is probably constructed heavier (394#) than the HD or standard JD 72" bucket. The skid steer buckets are designed for the 200 and 300 skid steer models which have a lot more muscle than a JD 3720..
I currenly also have a bobcat pallet forks, bobcat hydraulic PHD, and a man lift all which have a skid steer type attachment which is why the skid steer attachment on the loader is mandatory.

My Kubota 3710 LA681 loader has a 66" bucket and about the same overall lift as the JD 300cx loader. My Kubota loader has a skid steer adapter plate which I guess weighs about 200-250# and forward about 8-10" more and it could just handle a full heaped bucket of rock or sand. My kubota bucket has a struck capacity of 9.7 cu. ft and a heaped capacity of 11.8 cu. ft. The kubota bucket is 22.4" in lenth and 20.9" high.
The JD 66" skid steer bucket has a struck capacity of 11.2 and heaped of 14.6 cu ft.
My hope is to get more or equal capacity with a skid steer 66" bucket compared to a standard or HD 300cx Jd 72" bucket. The skid steer bucket is also about $190 less than the standard Jd 72" bucket and $340 less than the Jd HD 72" bucket. The skid steer bucket is also of heavier construction. That green paint must cost a lot.:D The skid steer bucket is black.
Does anyone have the measurements of a JD bucket in depth and height?

/ weight and capacity of loader bucket #8  
Is your 3720 going to be able to run your Bobcat HPHD? Have you ever run it with your Kubota?

Do you have any pictures of your SS QA Man Lift? I would be curious to see this. I have been thinking about purchasing one or having one made.

If you already have a larger bucket on your Bobcat, then it makes perfect sense to go with the smaller bucket.

My dealer told me that it would cost $411 more to get the Skid Steer Attachment Carrier. The JD 73" HD Bucket with Replaceable Cutting Edge lists for $908 . The Worksite Pro 72" SS QA HD Bucket with Replaceable Cutting Edge is $942. Overall it would have cost me about $450 more to get the Skid Steer setup.

At some point, I may replace the JD QA brackets with SS QA brackets. Of course, I will then need to remove the JD QA receivers from the bucket and weld on a SS QA receiver. It would have been easier to do it up front but I didn't think I would need it. I haven't needed it yet but it's starting to come up now that I'm looking at Forks.

I can take some measurements of my bucket but it seems like a moot point. Given all of your SS QA attachments, it only makes sense that you go with a SS QA and that leaves only the 66" bucket available since you don't want the larger 72" bucket.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. I have yet to se a 3x20 series with a Skid Steer QA and black Worksite Pro bucket.

Neophyte said:
Is your 3720 going to be able to run your Bobcat HPHD? Have you ever run it with your Kubota?

Do you have any pictures of your SS QA Man Lift? I would be curious to see this. I have been thinking about purchasing one or having one made.

If you already have a larger bucket on your Bobcat, then it makes perfect sense to go with the smaller bucket.

My dealer told me that it would cost $411 more to get the Skid Steer Attachment Carrier. The JD 73" HD Bucket with Replaceable Cutting Edge lists for $908 . The Worksite Pro 72" SS QA HD Bucket with Replaceable Cutting Edge is $942. Overall it would have cost me about $450 more to get the Skid Steer setup.

At some point, I may replace the JD QA brackets with SS QA brackets. Of course, I will then need to remove the JD QA receivers from the bucket and weld on a SS QA receiver. It would have been easier to do it up front but I didn't think I would need it. I haven't needed it yet but it's starting to come up now that I'm looking at Forks.

I can take some measurements of my bucket but it seems like a moot point. Given all of your SS QA attachments, it only makes sense that you go with a SS QA and that leaves only the 66" bucket available since you don't want the larger 72" bucket.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. I have yet to se a 3x20 series with a Skid Steer QA and black Worksite Pro bucket.

I plan to get the Jd skid steer 66" foundry bucket which I was told was about $600 but don't know the exact price. The 66" utility bucket retail is $650 and is too large capacity and weighs another 80# more. You may have been looking at a low profile/construction bucket which is too long in front and would reduce digging/breakout force. The foundry bucket is more similar in shape to a CUT bucket.
I'll try to post pictures of the man lift some time. I bought it used but it is homemade.

Measurements of your bucket would still be useful to compare to the skid steer one.

I have run the bobcat PHD on the Kubota. It turns slowly but has enough torgue. It works OK for a few holes but if I have a lot I use my Skid steer. The hydraulic flow on the Kubota is about 1 gallon less than the JD 3000 series. The 4000 series probably would have turned it much better.

/ weight and capacity of loader bucket #10  
Bob, Thanks for the tutorial. The more I learn, the more I find I don't know..... :)