seeking hydraulic advise

/ seeking hydraulic advise #1  

jrschremser

Tractor
JD 4600
Although I have spent nearly my whole adult life around green and yellow equipment I still find hours of enjoyment and learning on this site. I am nearing retirement so I am gearing up some of my equipment. I have a 1999 model 4600 power reverser with a 460 loader. I am sold on a Fasse or WR Long electric diverter valve to operate a grapple. I want to hook up a log splitter and a TnT for the box blade.

Does the power beyond kit for the splitter disable the 3PH?

Can I run hydraulics from the PB circuit out to the 3rd and 4th SCV's for the TnT and just disconnect these lines when they are not in use?

If so my plan is to mount these valves as low profile as possible and avoid running excess hose to get snagged. John Deere has what looks to be the ultimate set up with a diverter that runs off the mid mount dual SCV out to rear SCV's on the current 4000 series. Unfortunately this system isn't compatible with the 4600.

/ seeking hydraulic advise #3  
Check with dieselmotorhead, he has a 4600 with Power Beyond and 3 Rear Remotes. Send him a private message.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/members/dieselmotorhead.html

My understanding is that the 4600 has a 3rd SCV kit available as well as a 4th/5th SCV kit available. You would use the 3rd SCV for your grapple control. You would use the 4th and 5th SCV for your TnT. You could swap them around as desired. The three control levers would be installed on your right fender in front of the cup holder. The middle lever would control the 3rd SCV and the levers on either side would control your 4th and 5th SCV. You could switch hoses around as needed. For instance, you may want the left lever to control the grapple and the middle/right levers to control the TnT.

The Power Beyond Kit would be used for your log splitter.

If you haven't done so already, log onto the JD Parts Catalog. They depict the kits mentioned above and provide part numbers.

If you were inclined to control the grapple through your Dual Mid SCV controls, then you would need to use an electric diverter with a button on the loader joystick (or elsewhere). If desired, the diverter can be mounted on the FEL, as others have done from this site. If you had a diverter for your grapple, this would leave one of your 3/4/5 SCVs as a spare.

Others will know better than I.

/ seeking hydraulic advise
Thanks for the info. I've haven't been able to find any pictures yet but I'm starting to understand this a little better. Does the power beyond circuit have a control valve like a SCV or is it just a couple of ports that quick disconnects attach to? Do you know if the power beyond lines connect to the plugged output/input on the FEL valve or are those plugs for a 3rd SCV?

/ seeking hydraulic advise #5  
Here are some pictures of the kits we are talking about. I hope this helps. You can see the associated part numbers for these pictures when you look it up in the JD Parts Catalog Online.

I don't have the Power Beyond option on mine. Someone else could probably better answer your PB question. I don't believe it uses a control valve.

Attachments

• Dual_Mid_SCV.gif
    Dual_Mid_SCV.gif
    23 KB · Views: 685
  • 3rd_SCV_Kit.gif
    3rd_SCV_Kit.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 4th_&_5th_SCV_Lit.gif
    4th_&_5th_SCV_Lit.gif
    16 KB · Views: 269
  • Power Beyond Kit.gif
    Power Beyond Kit.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 542
  • Hydraulic_Top-n-Tilt_Kit.gif
    Hydraulic_Top-n-Tilt_Kit.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 265
   / seeking hydraulic advise #6  
Neophyte had some excellant answers. I'll add some, probably repeat, hopefully not muddy things up!

Your tractor came with 3 hydraulic valves if it came with a loader. 1 & 2 are connected to your loader. 3 is capped off. and the lever isn't hooked up. To add the 3rd, JD has a kit that includes the plumbing and lever.

4th and 5th are accessed using a diverter. A solenoid switches the 1 and 2 ports to become 4 and 5. So when the divertor is actuated, the loader does not function.

Power beyond is a direct out, without any valve. The 3 point is disabled while it is in use. It is designed for a backhoe or logsplitter or post friver. The device will have its own valve(s) and the return dumps directly into the sump resevoir.

A Fasse valve is a diverter that the actuator is located on the Joystick. Deere puts theri control on the console between the fender and seat. For Top and Tilt, either is fine.

Using the 3rd or diverter to operate a grapple seems cumbersome to me. I have questioned this over and over, and still do not have a grapple. When I do, I will use a solenoid actuated valve plumbed to the 3rd spool. That way I can control the grapple using a switch mounted to the joystick while retaing full control of the joystick. Using Deeres third or diverter does not allow this.

clear as mud?

BTW this is covered in the Deere FAQ...

/ seeking hydraulic advise
Thanks for the replys and pictures. The mud has passed and the water runs clear. I think I had some conflicting information between some of the guys at the dealer. My plan to use the power beyond circuit to supply the 3 and 4 scv's was scrubbed when I learned that this would disable the 3 pt hitch. I think the convience of the diverter button on the FEL control to supply the grapple justifies the cost. Has anyone used a supplier other than Deere for a 3 and 4 SCV setup? Any pictures of this would be great too!

/ seeking hydraulic advise #9  
Yes, WR Long has a great electric solenoid diverter valve. I used it on a recent grapple project and there are a couple of photos of the valve (and instllation) and also the electric switch on the joystick. One thing about using a set-up like that is you get a true 3rd function, meaning if you feather the manual valves for the loader just right in conjunction with the electric switch, you can get all valves to operate simultaneously. There is a video on the thread too. Also, in the beginning of the thread is another thread I refer to which explains a lot about the valving and power beyond etc.
Click here: GRAPPLE PROJECT