JD 4500 brakes went out...

/ JD 4500 brakes went out... #1  

StevenPaul

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2010 (Kranky), JD 4500
Hello All!

Just a real quick question about brakes, my wife said that the brakes were working when she was last on the tractor. I get on it and notice that I have no brakes. It's a JD 4500 and I'm at a loss as to what could've happened. Could a low fluid level cause this?

thanks for any and all advice and help,
Steve

/ JD 4500 brakes went out...
ok, I know I've been gone awhile and then there's this new format that took me a while to get in to but it used to be when a post came on there was at least one reply. Are you tellin me that there isn't anybody out there that might have an idea as to why my brakes on my JD 4500 went out on me.

I mean c'mon, somebody say something, I'm beginning to get an inferiority complex here...:D

Steve

/ JD 4500 brakes went out... #3  
StevenPaul said:
ok, I know I've been gone awhile and then there's this new format that took me a while to get in to but it used to be when a post came on there was at least one reply. Are you tellin me that there isn't anybody out there that might have an idea as to why my brakes on my JD 4500 went out on me.

I mean c'mon, somebody say something, I'm beginning to get an inferiority complex here...:D

Steve

I don't own a JD 4500, I don't even play one on TV, but your statement that the brakes went out is somewhat vague. You need to explain a little. Do you leave the parking brake on when you shut it down? Did you try to adjust them up before saying "Where's my brakes??" This may come across as insensitive (don't mean to be), but you need to do some investigative work and let us know some details prior to slamin' us for not having the answer before we know the symptons.....Doc BobG in VA

/ JD 4500 brakes went out... #4  
Any leaks? Fluid in the reservoir? Brakes working?
Bob

/ JD 4500 brakes went out...
Sorry if it came off as a slam, wasn't meant to be. It was more of an attempt at humor if anything. It's just that with me being away for awhile and then finally gettin back in here and postin something and no answer..well, I just got a little anxious. Plus the wife is naggin me "when ya gonna fix the tractor?" which I reply, "when you tell me what ya did to it" hahaha! I told her we're not riding the tractor without brakes and we're both going into withdrawls. Can't figure it out though, one day they were working, next day they're not. Haven't seen any leaks or anything and I checked the fluids. They're "wet" brakes I think which I'm not to familiar with. In my "what little free time" I have, I've been trying to figure out what's going on but I'm battin 1000% of walking away from it scratchin my head and thinkin "danged if I know what it is, guess I'll go check the ph in the pool".

Steve

/ JD 4500 brakes went out... #6  
StevenPaul said:
Sorry if it came off as a slam, wasn't meant to be. It was more of an attempt at humor if anything. It's just that with me being away for awhile and then finally gettin back in here and postin something and no answer..well, I just got a little anxious. Plus the wife is naggin me "when ya gonna fix the tractor?" which I reply, "when you tell me what ya did to it" hahaha! I told her we're not riding the tractor without brakes and we're both going into withdrawls. Can't figure it out though, one day they were working, next day they're not. Haven't seen any leaks or anything and I checked the fluids. They're "wet" brakes I think which I'm not to familiar with. In my "what little free time" I have, I've been trying to figure out what's going on but I'm battin 1000% of walking away from it scratchin my head and thinkin "danged if I know what it is, guess I'll go check the ph in the pool".

Steve
Wet brakes don't mean that they are hydraulically operated. The brake disks are bathed in trans fluid. Pull up on your parking brake without putting your foot on the brake peddles. If you can, and the lever comes up easily you either drove the tractor a while with the parking brake on and wore the disks down some (to the point of not holding), or you have a linkage breakdown somewhere. You should be able to adjust the parking brake easily. Check your linkage. I think someone ran it with the parking brake on.....Adjust it back up and you should have brakes again. BobG in VA

/ JD 4500 brakes went out... #7  
StevenPaul said:
Plus the wife is naggin me "when ya gonna fix the tractor?" which I reply, "when you tell me what ya did to it" hahaha!

"Honey, when I know what is wrong."

Bob