Ballast 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice

/ 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice #1  

Vic_N

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4044R
I need some help. I want to make sure I know what I’m talking about before I speak to my JD dealer.

When I bought my 3520 I ordered wheel weights for the rear R4s. The dealer sold me four 110 pound weights and hardware. There was a delay getting the weights so I took delivery on the 3520 anyway.

Then the weights arrived. The dealer took the tractor but said he had some issues with the installation; apparently, the weights had 4 holes and couldn’t be mounted to the 3 holes on the wheel. He reordered and then installed two weights but had more issues so had to order more weights. He now says he has another two weights and is ready to install them.

I’ve attached 2 photos for your review. I believe the two weights installed are 52 pounders. They’re 16.5 inches in diameter and 1.375 inches thick. I further believe the 110 pounders don’t fit R4s. And I’m guessing the newly arrived weights are also 52 pounders. This will result in a total of 208 pounds for both wheels combined.

I’m a little miffed since the dealer hasn’t just admitted he ordered the wrong weights and I won’t be getting 440 pounds of wheel weights plus a small refund.

Do I understand this situation correctly? Or am I all wet? I’d like to avoid putting my foot in my mouth if possible. Thanks.

Vic

Attachments

• Dcp_1206.jpg
    Dcp_1206.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Upclose.jpg
    Upclose.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,203
   / 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice #2  
vic, go to deere.com .Click on parts. enter 3520 into the search window. Go to the alphbetical index. Look under W. Find Wheel weights. That should help you determine what you have.

/ 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice
Thanks for your idea and I've done that, i.e., I've checked jdpc.deere.com. I found part #T19293 (110 lb weights for R1 tires); this is what my dealer ordered for me. And I found part #BM17968 (52 lb weights for R4 tires); these sound like what I've got. Sounds like I'm correct that the dealer ordered the wrong weights. But I'd sure like to hear it from another tractor owner who has already been down this road with the weights. Thanks again.

Vic

/ 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice #4  
Vic, from what I can see on my neighbors farm tractor the 110's bolt on top of the 52 lb weights you have now.The 52's act as as base to mount the 110's. I guess you can mount two 110's onto the 52's giving you 272 lbs per side. Go back to the deere site and look at the diagram it shows how the 110's bolt up to the 52's.

/ 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice #5  
I've researched this same issue for my 3120 which I wanted to install weights on. My deere dealer talked me out of it for various reasons, even though the front loader manual clearly states that weights are required. I still think the dealer was wrong but didn't want to fight the "experts." He tells me I don't need them. I don't want to find out the hard way that I do, and will probably just go to another dealer who wants my business.

In any event, your tractor can take 3 weights per side. I'm almost certain that the 110 lbs weights do not go on the R4's. You can install 3 of the 52lb weights. The difference will be in the installation hardware (starter or additional weight). Therefore, if loaded with 3 weights, you will have 156lbs per side instead of 220. You are probably already aware but the loader manual specifies that the proper amount of ballast for the 300cx loader with R4 tires is filled rear tires, 3 weights per side and 1000lbs on rear hitch.

/ 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice #6  
By the way, my dealer and I also looked at the exact same diagram and it certainly is confusing and makes it appear that the 52lb weight acts as a base for the 110 lb weight. Our conclusion is that the 52lb weight is specifically for the R4 tires while the 110lb weights are for the R1 tires. Both are shown in the diagram because the tractor can be ordered with either the R1 tires which has a much larger (diameter) rim or the R4 tires. The weight you order will depend upon which tires you are running. The parts description clearly states which weight go on which rim. Each one of the weights listed also are labeled as starter/additional weight sugesting that there is no difference in how they are used, only that different hardware is specified for the respective application.

/ 3520 Wheel Weights...Need Some Advice
Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen. I think we're all on the same page...no pun intended!

Vic