New 3520 vs. Used 3320?

/ New 3520 vs. Used 3320? #1  

browns40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD3520
That's the question...

I have a 3320 HST currently in the shop with leaking front wheel seals, and a leaking rear main seal (for the 2nd time!).:mad: It's the only 3x20 they've seen the leaking rear main on, and the only CUT they've ever seen twice for it. We are waiting for JD engineering to give a little insight on how the heck it could happen. All is warranty work...

It's a great little tractor--has dug a pond for me, and provided a little over 200 hours of some of the most enjoyable work. :) It has the mid PTO (and rear SCV's that correspond) for extras on it--neither of which I've used to date...

One of the 3 pt arms is a little tweaked--it has had plenty of use up to it's capabilities, which is to say it's not been beat, but by no means babied, and those darn leaky seals...:eek:

I decided to ask about moving up for a bit more horsepower to run the bush hog & logging winch, and possibly get away from a machine (forgive me) that may have been overlooked on quality control somehow.

To shorten up a long story, it'd be $4k to move up to the 3520 (no mid PTO or rear SCVs) and would actually lower the monthly payment (but extend it). About 6K to get the 3720. But it's then a brand new machine, with all new warranty, more power, and my fears of repeat issues with the same machine disappearing...

Anyone asking on a new purchase I'd say no way... I gather it's about $2k for the 3320-->3520 jump regularly... so I'm wondering if a year old tractor with 200 hours has lost $2000 in value? :confused:

IS the 5 HP increase noticeable to you guys that have tried the 3320 & 3520? Is the turbo a great improvement?

My dealer said the only benefits he's seen for the 3520 have been for folks who plan to mow, or snowblow a lot--the 20% bump in PTO horsepower is the factor. Otherwise they see a 50/50 split on 3320 & 3520 with few 3120 & 3720 sold comparitively.

What would YOU do?:confused:

Attachments

• Tractor pic 7-17-06 009.jpg
    Tractor pic 7-17-06 009.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Tractor pic 7-17-06 016.jpg
    Tractor pic 7-17-06 016.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Tractor pic 7-17-06 008.jpg
    Tractor pic 7-17-06 008.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 224
   / New 3520 vs. Used 3320? #2  
If I was in your shoes I would get the dealer to split the difference and move to a different machine because of the problems.

May not see an apreciable difference for your work but at least you could do some work with it!

If you can get the 3720 and make it worth the upgrade hassle!

/ New 3520 vs. Used 3320?
Anybody have a "suspected lemon" experience to share here?

Did you get out & how'd you make out doing it?:confused:

/ New 3520 vs. Used 3320? #4  
Maybe they will extend the warranty on your current machine?

Maybe upgrade to a larger machine like a 4x20?

D.

/ New 3520 vs. Used 3320? #5  
browns40 said:
Anybody have a "suspected lemon" experience to share here?

Did you get out & how'd you make out doing it?:confused:
If you do get out of it why keep your new machine in shape and rent a suitable machine for digging ponds next time. I do not believe that digging ponds is listed on the JD site for the 3X20 machines. No offense but it might have something to do with why your machine has failed on you twice. I think if you can, cough up the $$ and get out of this 3520 and do not tear up the next one.

/ New 3520 vs. Used 3320?
No offense taken Mike! It's absolutely not an excavator or true construction loader, but I never did abuse it, just regular digging & loading under iffy conditions.

Distinct possibility that the fine silt from the clay in the water could work it's way into a water tight seal edge, no doubt... Greg made no mention of anything when he split the machine though. I wouls think the particulate size would be similar to dust...

I've inquired about a 4x20, but am hesitant about the JD motor for no reral reason other than the Yanmar's been so good historically... yours has been solid ddivinia?

/ New 3520 vs. Used 3320? #7  
browns40 said:
No offense taken Mike! It's absolutely not an excavator or true construction loader, but I never did abuse it, just regular digging & loading under iffy conditions.

Distinct possibility that the fine silt from the clay in the water could work it's way into a water tight seal edge, no doubt... Greg made no mention of anything when he split the machine though. I wouls think the particulate size would be similar to dust...

I've inquired about a 4x20, but am hesitant about the JD motor for no reral reason other than the Yanmar's been so good historically... yours has been solid ddivinia?

Definately trust in the dealer because I have no idea how a machine gets in that condition. I am just upset that your machine has given you this many problems and to the extreme!! The fact that you typed the words splitting a 3X20 apart is just plain wrong IMO. Get out and fast. Keep it nice for awhile and rebuild that dealer trust and you will be set. I for the life of me do not know why it would happen twice unless the service was not 100% the first time maybe? Kills me. Anyway that JD engine is doing great so far from what I have read. At this point the 4X20 would at least offset part of the loss due to increase in size and power - at least it will feel like an upgrade for the $$$.

I was bouncing all over two acres of my alfalfa field today mowing it (needing to smooth it out so this cut is a wash. Anyway I was out there thinking about you digging that pond and just shaking my head!! I thought man I bet that was a ton of work!!