Mowing Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #1  

prosperity

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I'm in a bit of a dilemma with what to do.

I've had my 2210 w/62c deck for a couple years, and have done a lot of mowing with it - some commercially. Next spring, I plan on going more full time with the commercial mowing.
I find that mowing with the 2210 is quite fast, and does a beautiful job. Most of the mowing I do is larger tracts.
Now, I am seeing mostly zero turn mowers on contractors trailers. Even my dealer says that a Z-Trak will cut my mowing time close to half.

So, what I am looking for, is someone who has a first hand comparison mowing with a 2210 or 2305 vs a 757 or larger Z-Trak.

And, it bothers me that Deere only makes one diesel Z-Trak (997) - I would just hate to go from a liquid cooled diesel to an air cooled gas engine!

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #2  
I was in the same situation with a deisel z turn. I bought the Kubota DZ 25 and don't regret it at all. Its great on fuel and has a few really nice features that the 757 deere doesn't.

Jim

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #3  
Prosperity,

I am going on record again saying do NOT trade your 2210 on a Ztrak mower.
I have used the Kubota (nice machine) and bought my dad a 757 ZTR. I have mowed with a close equivalent of your 2210, a 595 which I had for two years. The difference in time is not that great. The ZTR mower will cut the mowing time in half over an inefficient machine, but not over a 2210. I posted an article about six months ago where I compared the times mowing a large soccer field. The 757 was a good bit faster in these open flat spaces. I have mowed my parents' place for them twice recently, and yes the ZTR is faster. To do a good job on their two acres of hilly obstacle course, the 757 would save about 15 minutes per mow over my 595's time. This is not insignificant, but not the "twice as fast" as I would expect. Please do not misconstrue, I love using my dad's ZTR, but for sheer speed your 2210 comes reasonably close and would save you some fuel over any gas model. Moving to diesel is fine, but then you are spending close to the same, if not more, on a machine that is not as capable as your 2210, just some faster mowing. With your present machine, if a customer wants a flower bed, save the money get a tiller and go. Snow removal? Plow with the 2210. Mulch moving? bucket loader. To me, if you are really going to be running a honed down mowing business that runs lots of jobs and tight margins, go with a diesel Kubota ZTR or a 997. If you are not in that way yet, run your 2210 one more year and see. You might be surprised at what your little machine can do.

John M

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak
Thanks for the in depth reply jcmseven -
Very good advise - especially being able to do the added jobs with the 2210.

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #5  
There are many factors to consider. I don't have any experience with a "Z", but my neighbor with the same size lot uses 2 of them. My mowing time is about the same as theirs and they mow with 2 Z's while I use my 2305. One difference is the trees. My trees are mostly placed where I can get close enough without needing to go back and forth around them. My neighbors are placed so they need to spin around them on the "Z". We both have long lengths of rows that really don't favor a "Z". Both yards are somewhat rough and it seems to me the 2305 can go a little faster over rough ground. I'm convinced that in ideal conditions, the "Z" would be much faster. We just don't have those conditions here.

The negative to mowing with the 2305 is convenience. I need to use the loader, tiller and backhoe often. Mowing this season has been about every 3-4 days here in Ohio. Changing attachments has become tiresome. Removing and reinstalling the mower and other attachments every 3-4 days to mow is a bother. I hope to purchase a "Z" type mower when the budget permits. That's how my neighbor ended up with his. He leaves his attachments on his "CUT" and mows with the "Z's"

Just another point of view

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #6  
Another point to consider... the tires, especially the front ones, are smaller on the ZTR mowers. On rough terrain, like a pasture field, the ZTR (and you) would take a beating.

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak
Both good points - thank you.

Most all the "lawns" I will be doing are more fields converted to lawns - all pretty rough. I don't think any of them, except for small town lots, are actually smooth lawns.

Points well taken. I know if I lower my tire air pressure to ~10 psi I can really move even on the rougher areas.

I can now see where a "Z" would shine - on professionally installed smooth lawns with lots of obstacles.

Thanks for the input.

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #8  
What else do you do with your 2210? I had a 2210 loaded with all the goodies. I decided that it was too small to do some things, but it mowed very well. So, I added a 4720 to the mix. Then I screwed up and checked out the 757 Ztrack at my dealer. I sold my 2210 and went with the 757. The 757 rocks - it is quick, simple, super tough, and my wife likes to use it. My dealer warned me that my wife would probalby steal it from me. That is fine, she can mow the lawn - I have other stuff to mow!

757 Z Track:
Pros -
Easier to maintain (hydraulic oil change is s snap)
Lots of grease zerks
No cooling fan to trash
Hydraulic filter is not in the dumb place like on the 2210.
Easy on and off

Cons:
Only mows (the 2210 does lots of stuff).
Not cheap
Can't go some places ( used to mow my ditch with my 2210 - 757 will get stuck).
Lights cost extra

I am sure there are more items - but that will get it going.

D.

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #9  
I still think the 2210 is the better choice - and much more versitile. Suppose your commerical accounts wanted some mulch added or dirt? You can take or that in short order with the 2210. Mount a rear mower on the 2210 for Brush hogging, etc....the cut quality is excellent on the 2210...you dont see them on the backs of trucks mainly because the 2210 is more expensive and can do much more than a ZTR

/ Mowing with 2210 vs Z-Trak #10  
Well, you can't move dirt with a Z-track. I just got done mowing 3 acres or so around my barn this morning. I prefer to do it with the z track because I can get under the fence with it, right up next to the barn, etc.

I had a LX4 on my 2210 and it sucked. The 62C cut better. It really doesnt have the PTO power to get after it and only 4' at that. Also, the 3 point lacks a lot without being able to set heights, etc.

I really liked my 2210, but for justt mowing grass - this z-track kicks it in everyway.

D.