Default 440 Loader Question

I have a 970 with the 440 Loader, and really like how quickly I can remove and attach it. But something has been nagging me for a long time. In the instructions, it says to "move control lever to relieve hydraulic pressure" then to remove the connectors. But if you move the control lever, the loader will lower back onto the arms. The lift cylinder needs to stay under pressure to hold it up. It even has a 90 degree coupler on the lift cylinder connector which makes it much easier to recouple under pressure.

Am I missing something, or were these instructions written by an idiot? Most JD instructions are well written, but this is really bad.

Jeff

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520

Default Re: 440 Loader Question

Quote Originally Posted by JWaterstreet
    I have a 970 with the 440 Loader, and really like how quickly I can remove and attach it. But something has been nagging me for a long time. In the instructions, it says to "move control lever to relieve hydraulic pressure" then to remove the connectors. But if you move the control lever, the loader will lower back onto the arms. The lift cylinder needs to stay under pressure to hold it up. It even has a 90 degree coupler on the lift cylinder connector which makes it much easier to recouple under pressure.

Am I missing something, or were these instructions written by an idiot? Most JD instructions are well written, but this is really bad.

Jeff
    Do you turn off the engine before doing this? The loader should simply "relax" when you do this. Two reasons why it's important:

1. If there's an issue with the quick couplers you don't get shot with high-velocity (and probably hot) hydro-fluid.
    2. By keeping the resting state unpressurized you extend the life of the seals and hoses.

On my 200CX there's some slight settling, but no real movement when I relieve pressure. Of course, you should always excuse yourself when you relieve a little pressure in public...
    Thanks,

Jeff

JD 2520, 62D OnRamp MMM with MCS, 200CX Loader with 53" bucket and forks, RT1250 tiller, DR PTO Chipper/Shredder, iMatch/Pat's EZ Change, 46 BH, Top-N-Tilt

Yes; the engine is off. It totally makes sense that it drops, because it is the rams that hold it up in the first place. Moving the levers allows it to drop back down on the rail. In other words, the rams have to be under pressure to hold the thing up in the first place; moving the levers allow it to drop. It is analogous to shutting off the engine with the loader up in the air; moving the levers allow it to drop on the ground.

Does anyone else have a 440 that doesn't act this way?

Jeff

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Move it side to side...just use the bucket curl/dump circuit with a couple short jabs fore and aft (loader raise/lower). This works for me. This should only take one or two seconds of movement to eliminate any presssure.
    Don't hold the loader lever in any position...keep moving it.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino