Oil & Fuel 2305 fuel consumption

/ 2305 fuel consumption #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
I was wondering what others are getting for fuel consumption rates. I just calculated mine after using four gallons. I came up with just a shade over .6 gallons per hour. This is quite a ways off the 1.6 gallons per hour that is listed in its specs. Now I know that the official specs are based on constant usage at 3000 RPM's. I almost never use my 2305 at that speed, but the 4 gallons I used were used for a mix of rough mowing and dirt work. I am just curious to see if anyone else is getting fuel consumption at about this rate.

SI2305
LX4
200cx
5' grader blade

/ 2305 fuel consumption #2  
I have a Massey Ferguson GC2300 - about the same size as yours - just a different color. I have been doing about 2 to 2 1/2 hours a gallon using the FEL and tiller.

/ 2305 fuel consumption #3  
After a brief search I couldn't find a spec in my manual. Are you sure the spec is in g/h or could it be in h/g as in the last post? If it's really h/g then you're at about 1.67 hour per gallon - just a tad better than spec.

/ 2305 fuel consumption
jdbower,

The spec I mentioned was located on the John Deere website and it was in gallons per hour. The reason I ask the question of others is that I am still amazed by just how much more economical the diesel is over my little
L-120 gas lawn tractor. My best estimate is that the 2305 uses about half the fuel (maybe a tad more) than the
L-120 per hour. But this hour of operation is SOOOOO much more productive on the 1205 than the L-120.

JD 2305
LX4
200CX
5' grader blade

/ 2305 fuel consumption #5  
I know a lot of people who are begging for more diesel ZTRs for the very same reason. I can't say that I can complain about my fuel consumption. :)

And I just found the 1.6g/h spec for my 2520 on the website - given recent changes in the American mindset regarding fuel prices I wouldn't be surprised if it was a new addition to the webpage.

/ 2305 fuel consumption #6  
My 970, which is much larger than a 2305, gets roughly an hour per gallon. I just don't see any way that a 2305 would use 1.6 gallons per hour.

Jeff

/ 2305 fuel consumption #7  
My 2210 uses about the same fuel as yours when mowing. however fuel consuption varies according to load. When mowing heavy grass the fuel goes faster. It uses the most fuel when roto-tilling, probably something close to 1.5 gph. and uses very little fuel when using the FEL for snow removal.
I can mow my 3.5 acres twice on a full tank. I remember a 16hp twin briggs powerered snapper with 48" deck I used to mow 4 acres with and having to refill the two gallon gas tank twice to finish. So I figure that the diesel, while providing much more power is using half the fuel as that gas powered riding mower.

/ 2305 fuel consumption #8  
The fuel use on my 4010 with 18.5 hp is about 0.45 gallons/hr over 175 hours so far. It's about the same weight as the 2305 but less hp. Usage should prorate by hp for tractors but varies some by how hard the engine is used. For cars/trucks, it pretty much prorates by vehicle weight, except for lead-footed drivers.

For gas-engine carbureted engines vs. diesel, the factor is about 1.5, e.g. 50% higher. This is what is was years ago for gas-engined carbureted cars vs. diesel cars based on records that we engineers kept on our vehicles back in the 70s and 80s. Fuel-injected gas engines do about 25% better than with carburation but the factor is about 1.3-1.4 higher, vs. a modern diesel with emission controls, more valves, etc.

For instance, a 3,000 # fuel injected car/truck on gas will average about 27 mpg. A diesel-engined one will average nearer 40 mpg. In the old days, that 3,000 # car would do only 20 mpg, and the diesel version would do 30 mpg.

Ralph

/ 2305 fuel consumption #9  
My 2210 got horrible consuption today when the valve stem in a rear loaded tire was severed! Talk about severing productivity!

/ 2305 fuel consumption #10  
JDFANATIC said:
My 2210 got horrible consuption today when the valve stem in a rear loaded tire was severed! Talk about severing productivity!

JDFAN, I wonder if the steel valve stems like the stems on the 2320 will fit your 2210 wheels. I bet they would, I don't know for sure. It might be worth a call to your dealer to find out.