Clearing tractor computer?

/ Clearing tractor computer? #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Will disconnecting the tractors battery clear the computer?

/ Clearing tractor computer? #2  
Are you asking if it will zero out the hours? If so, I can't imagine this to be the case. Otherwise, people could rollback their hours by simply disconnecting their battery. I would imagine they are storing that information on non-volatile memory, which is not affected by a power loss.

It should not reset the stored information but it should reset the computer itself. If it were "locked up" or you were having an intermittent issue with it, then disconnecting the battery for at least a minute (sometimes longer) should cause it to reset and clear any intermittent errors.

Of course, this is just an educated guess.

/ Clearing tractor computer?
Neo,I installed the cruise upgrade kit and when I run thru the sequience for programing, it will not show the correct numbers. I can get halfway thru the programing and then it will not show the correct number sequience when entering the numbers. I thought maybe someone might know how to clear any faults that might be in the computor. Then I might be able to program the proper sequience into it for the cruise control upgrade.
I am going to disconnect the battery and run back thru the programnig and see if that works. If it doesen't I'll have to call a dealer to see if they might know. I was not wanting to clear the hours off my machine, just any fault codes that might be causing me not to be able to program the cruise.
After I could not get the upgrade programed I reinstalled the standard cruise and it still works, so its not the cruise, but in the programing.

/ Clearing tractor computer?
Disconnected the battery and it did not clear the computor, but it did allow me to enter the correct codes. Why, beats me???

/ Clearing tractor computer? #5  
As with all computers, if all else fails, try a power down/reset.

I'm glad you were able to get it to work.