Oil & Fuel Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel?

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #1  

oscer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110
I had the fuel co. fill a 55 Gal drum with heating oil and I use it as deisel fuel. The fuel dealer said this may not be a good idea , but the JD dealer laughed and said he's done this all his life.( He used to be a dairy farmer). If anyone has advise on this I would appreciate it.

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #2  
oscer said:
I had the fuel co. fill a 55 Gal drum with heating oil and I use it as deisel fuel. The fuel dealer said this may not be a good idea , but the JD dealer laughed and said he's done this all his life.( He used to be a dairy farmer). If anyone has advise on this I would appreciate it.

Like to hear more about this subject. Years ago living up north the fuel was the same, sometimes cut with #1 for flow ability in extremly cold weather, and cost slightly more. Off road diesel. The only increased price (very slight) was the #1 added to flowability. I think your dealer is right.

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #3  
I have done this for years, first with a Kubota B2400 and now with a new holland Tc33 D, I have a 300 gal. tank. I do however add a fungicide and a fuel booster that cuts down on the black smoke puff you usually get at initial start- up.

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #4  
oscer said:
It's all the same stuff.
What ya color it use it in where you use it doesn't change it.

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #5  
I've been burning home heating oil in my diesel tractors for 15 years now and have had no problems what-so-ever. I just add some additive to the fuel in the wintertime so it doesn't jell. I have a 250 gallon tank with an electric pump on it to fuel my tractors and it also heats my shop. My tractors are in a heated shop during the wintertime.

Bill

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #7  
Go on over to the Oil/Fuel/Lubricants forum. This subject has been discussed to death several times.

The bottom line is that HHO should work just fine in your tratctor and if you are a worrying type of person then you should add an additive like Power Service. In fact, in some areas of the country and for some fuel distributors, diesel fuel and HHO are one in the same. Now this may not always be the case with the new ULSD fuel, but still it should work in your tractor.

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #8  
I just filled my home heating oil tanks and that is what I use. It's labeled as #2 dyed diesel on the invoice. #2 is the same diesel I run in my truck and tractor but for home heating its just dyed. Check with your supplier because in some areas where it is colder or the tank is outside the home heating oil may may be a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 diesel to prevent gelling.

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel?
Thanks for the imput fellas , my fuel dealer told me there were lube additives in diesel fuel that aren't in HHO. I'm not goin to worry about it though , it seems like alot of folks are burnin it. Sure is handy having it delivered.

/ Burning Heating Oil as Deisel Fuel? #10  
oscer said:
Thanks for the imput fellas , my fuel dealer told me there were lube additives in diesel fuel that aren't in HHO. I'm not goin to worry about it though , it seems like alot of folks are burnin it. Sure is handy having it delivered.
The Ashland / Marathon bulk plant here only has one kind of fuel for vehicles and home furnaces.
Guess where the distributors get their fuel - so how can they be delivering you 2 different formulas of fuel?
----->>