Function of work light kits on 2520

/ Function of work light kits on 2520 #1  

swregs

Hi,

Was considering getting the light kits to install on my fairly new tractor. After looking at the online configurator of the John Deere website, it implies that you canNOT have both the front and rear work light kits installed at the same time. The online parts diagram for the tractor does not give much help. I cannot tell if the wiring harness of the tractor will support both kits being installed. Does anyone with a 2520 have both kits in use?

For that matter, what control is used to turn the work lights on/off?

Regards,

swregs

/ Function of work light kits on 2520 #2  
Yep... My dealer said no sweat. Didn't upgrade my alternator either. Post your email addy & I'd be glad to drop you a couple pics...

/ Function of work light kits on 2520 #3  
If it's like my 4110, witch it probably is...there is one wire uder the seat for a worklight that goes "hot" when the headlights are on.
The factory switch and wire harness probably cannot support to much current draw.

You can however add a relay and add all the lights you want within reason...
Here is a thread that detailed my light install:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/69583-rops-light-install.html

/ Function of work light kits on 2520 #4  
Hello. I have just installed the forward aux lights and ROPS brush guards on my 4320. It was very easy. When i picked them up at my dealer, I got into an argument with the parts guy about whether or not the rear work light will work with the setup. He says no, that it's either the forward OR the rear light. Both won't work. However on the JD website it actually illustrates a 4000 series tractor with both front and rear light installed. However, when i was reading the instructions that came with the forward lights, it said that the switch can only handle 3 lights (ie 2 forward and 1 rear). The thing is, the wiring harness comes with connectors for rear work lights on BOTH sides. What the heck? Nobody from Deere seems to know. Anyone have advice? Will it melt the switch if i put 2 rear lights on in addition to the fronts? The alternator/battery should handle it... right?

/ Function of work light kits on 2520 #5  
Picture of 2 worklights installed facing the rear on my 2320. They are mounted to the brushguards. The dealer did the install. All JD parts.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 884
   / Function of work light kits on 2520 #6  
It's not alternator capacity I think it simply has to do with the mounts and/or the factory wiring connectors. On each of my brush guards you can only mount a single light, forward facing or rearward facing.

I have a 2305 and put on the front lights on the brush guards. I then welded a tab to the top of my tops on the rear and mounted a 55watt rear facing work light. Ran the wire through the rops (folding) and hooked it up to the work light harness. I actually like the high position much better as it lets me light 'down' on the work rather than just light up the implement I have hooked up.

No problems at all with the 20 amp alternator.

Also, the work lights hook up to the tail light harness so they are on all the time when the lights are on. If you hook up to the work light harness it will go off when the flashers are on. (I think so you don't blind folks behind you if you were on the road).

/ Function of work light kits on 2520 #7  
I installed the JD lights on my ROPS and just turned one forward and one back gives you plenty of light , i tend to look to my left so i used the left light as a back up light seems to work real well and i dont get blinded when i look back