4310 no forward gear

/ 4310 no forward gear #1  

jpwazz

I have a JD 4310, less than 300hrs. Today while working with a tiller it just stopped, no forward travel. I was using the cruise control. The little blinky light on the right side panel was flashing. After stopping and starting the engine I could move in reverse but not forward. If I try to go forward first the blinky light comes on and no reverse. No bad tranny sounds in reverse on the way to the shed. Any ideas whats wrong?? JP.

/ 4310 no forward gear #2  
jpwazz said:
I have a JD 4310, less than 300hrs. Today while working with a tiller it just stopped, no forward travel. I was using the cruise control. The little blinky light on the right side panel was flashing. After stopping and starting the engine I could move in reverse but not forward. If I try to go forward first the blinky light comes on and no reverse. No bad tranny sounds in reverse on the way to the shed. Any ideas whats wrong?? JP.

I would say it is an electrical problem and not a mechanical problem. I would call the dealer Monday morning and ask them.

/ 4310 no forward gear #3  
The blinky light will give some insight as it blinks a falure code, what is the pattern of the blinking lights? Should be a # of short blinks, and a number of long blinks (or vice-versa) I'll look up the code in my service manual.

/ 4310 no forward gear
The light blinks 1 time fast, followed by 3 times slow. There is no diagnostic information in my owners manual to explain this. I hope this helps you to help me. Thanks JP.

/ 4310 no forward gear #5  
For an epowerreverser,
Problem code says computer sees forward and neutral input at the same time.

To correct, Press the clutch to bottom of travel and put F-N-R in neutral to clear error.

/ 4310 no forward gear
I neglected to mention, I have an eHydro model, not an ePowerreverser. Sorry for the confusion. JP.

/ 4310 no forward gear #7  
jpwazz said:
The light blinks 1 time fast, followed by 3 times slow. There is no diagnostic information in my owners manual to explain this. I hope this helps you to help me. Thanks JP.

My first blush guess concurs with the service manual:

That is that the Forward Reverse pedals pots aren't getting read correctly, due to a short or open. Check te wires running from them to see if one is unplugged, cut, or shorted. The machine should reset the code on a reboot...

/ 4310 no forward gear #8  
jpwazz said:
The light blinks 1 time fast, followed by 3 times slow. QUOTE]

The code that you describe indicates that an HST solenoid coil either is shorted out or has an open circuit. Possible causes that I can think of include:

1. Solenoid burned out.
2. Wiring harness or connection is broken
3. Short in wiring harness
4. Controller partially burned out.

If you were working in tall weeds or brush, then I would first look for potential areas where the wiring harness could have been snagged. The wires to the solenoids come out a hole on the right side of the tractor, just under the front of the foot deck (I think). If you can find the wires, then you may be able to trace them. Does your tractor have a protective cover on the underside middle of the tractor? If that is missing, then the solenoids are rather exposed and one could have been damaged. If you remove that cover, then you can start tracing the harness back from the solenoids.

If you have a ohm meter, you can also check the solenoids by disconnecting the short leads from the harness and measuring the resistance across the two pins.

/ 4310 no forward gear #9  
Hi jpwazz,

Might be able to "reboot" just by disconnecting the battery first... only takes a minute to do that, and it's clean.;) Probably too easy though...

If not, you've probably got a bad connection in the line somewhere... should be fairly easy to follow it... look it up on jD Parts from the website & you can refer to that while looking.

Good luck!

/ 4310 no forward gear
Having spent several hours under my tractor, I think its time for a trip to the dealer. There are what appear to be extra wires here and there underneath but Im pretty sure these were intended for additional equipment that isnt on my tractor. None of these connectors have shiney, bare ends that would indicate having been recently pulled apart, they merely terminate with a connector end. I will try un-hooking the battery to see if anything resets though.