2305 vs 318

/ 2305 vs 318 #1  

planman8

Tractor
2006 JD 2305
I am updating from a JD 318 to a JD 2305. It should be in the last of this month. I have loved my 318 and will miss it. While I know that the 2305 is much more versatile, I will miss the 318 and it's ability to cut the yard. Of course, cutting is all I could do with it. I am somewhat concerned that the 2305 won't perform as well as the 318 in cutting. Can any of you guys put my mind at ease? The sellsman said that the 2305 would do as well, but what else would a sellsman say? I guess my main concern is the larger turning radius of the 2305 as well as the ROPS.

/ 2305 vs 318 #2  
planman,

The 2305 with the 62C deck leaves an uncut circle of 36". That's pretty good, but you are right about the ROPS, IMHO, it is the biggest obstacle. There are some options though, you could get a folding ROPS from FEMCO or someone like that, or you can add mulch beds around your trees and landscaping. As for the cut itself, you won't be disappointed.

/ 2305 vs 318 #3  
Put your mind at ease, the 2305 with either the 54c or 62c will do a nice job mowing. I’m mowing with a 2210 with a 62c mower which is basically the same machine as the 2305 and it’s doing a great job mowing. Before I bought the 2210 I was mowing with a JD 140; the turning radius on the 2305 isn’t as big as you think it is. I really didn’t have to change my mowing pattern with the size jump.

/ 2305 vs 318
JD FANATIC,
Do you know of anyone who replaced their ROPS ? I will check with Femco and see if they have a folding replacement that will fit. The dealer said they didn't have one. Why?????
Thanks for the tip.

/ 2305 vs 318 #5  
If you are mainly mowing, I would look into an X series. The 2305 is more versatile and has a few more standard things, but it is not quite as manuverable or comfortable as an X series. It is also no more capable except in loader capacity. For mowing, although the 2305 is nice the equivalent X series is slightly better in my opinion and more manuverable. They are VERY nice machines and I think the fit and finish is a little better also, and opinion shared by my dealer who sells many of them both. If you are committed to mowing, go with the X, if you have any thoughts of others things the choice you are making is a good one. I do not think the 2305 would mow as well as a well-tuned 318 , but it would be close.

John M

/ 2305 vs 318 #6  
Is it unreasonable to remove the ROPS entirely? I mean, the 2305 is only slightly larger than the big X series tractors that don't have ROPS, and they can have a FEL too. Is it really that dangerous if on mostly flat ground? Reminds me of the Simpsons epsiode where Homer climbs up on a tractor and it immediately flips over on him! I don't expect anybody to say it's safe to do it, but I've got to believe there are many who have.

/ 2305 vs 318 #7  
Over the years I mowed with a 212, 214 and finally a 322 at my dad's place. The 322 with a 50" deck would be very comparable to your 318.

Four years ago I got a 2210/62C. There is no comparison. Smoother, faster, more power reserve. The deck sticks out more to get under things and the foot-controlled hydro can be controlled more smoothly and in my opinion faster than any hand hydro. The hydraulics are better and you can actually manuever around stuff like trees at a very fast pace.

I also got the FEMCO folding ROPS. It is the real deal, fits just like OEM but folds quickly. You will still be higher up than the 318, so limbs that you could sneak under on the 318 may stop you on a 2305. Nevertheless, the folding ROPS is a great addition if you have trees.

If you were happy with your 318 for mowing I think you'll find the 2305 to be as good or better in almost any situation.

/ 2305 vs 318 #8  
Just keep the little 318 and run it around the yard for fun! Own them both, the 2210 or 2305 will leave little doubt in your mind who runs the show after a trial run.

Attachments

• jdcollection2ed.JPG
    jdcollection2ed.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 456
   / 2305 vs 318
FGROSS 335 2210,
Thanks for the info. Where did you buy your femco rops ? I can't find a site for them on the web. Does anyone have a link to them?
I am a new member and am already hooked on this site. You guys have a wealth of info. Thanks for all of your help!