2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble #1  

DonS

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2210
My 2210 has an intermittent problem when shifting low to high. It won’t go or was tough to get it into high. The warrantee is just about up so I had the dealer take a look at it. He called me and said that he couldn’t get it to fail. He called the factory and they said that this is a normal condition while in low 4 wheel drive shifting to high especially on a hard packed surface. Something to do with torque on the transmission. I thought about it and it did seem to happen more in 4 wheel drive. It also happened in 2 wheel drive while pulling my Sea-doo up the boat ramp. I would stop halfway up the incline to shift into high and it was a little tough shifting. On a flat surface in 2 wheel drive shifting into high I can’t recall having trouble. Has anyone else here ever had this problem?

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble #2  
I notice the same thing on my 2305. The trick is to feather the forward peddle on the HST just a touch to get it to go into gear. My JD sales guy showed me this trick when he was showing me the tractor on the lot at the dealership the very first time on sat on the machine while I was still shopping around.

Hope this works!

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble #3  
DonS said:
My 2210 has an intermittent problem when shifting low to high. It won’t go or was tough to get it into high. The warrantee is just about up so I had the dealer take a look at it. He called me and said that he couldn’t get it to fail. He called the factory and they said that this is a normal condition while in low 4 wheel drive shifting to high especially on a hard packed surface. Something to do with torque on the transmission. I thought about it and it did seem to happen more in 4 wheel drive. It also happened in 2 wheel drive while pulling my Sea-doo up the boat ramp. I would stop halfway up the incline to shift into high and it was a little tough shifting. On a flat surface in 2 wheel drive shifting into high I can’t recall having trouble. Has anyone else here ever had this problem?

Do as Gord already said... tinker a bit with the pedals and you'll get the hang of it. A little back or a little forward while in neutral or gear.... brake & then it'll slip right in gear for you.

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble
I tried to feather it and that didn't work. Have to shift back to low move a bit then it will shift.

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble #6  
That kind of symptom is very typical of many gear boxes. Feathering the pedal will move the gears a bit til they line up better. I have to do the same thing on my 2210 some times too. I've had lots of cars that straight cut reverse gears that required the same kind of thing to get into reverse.

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble #7  
Never really thought of it as a problem on my 2210 it's the nature of a hydrostatic transmission. Just a tap on the pedal and it slides right in. Every hydrostatic transmission that I ever owned has had this same problem, some worst then others.

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble #8  
Never had a problem going into High. On my 4010, I sometimes have to feather the forward or reverse pedals to get it into Low.

Can shift into High or Low on the run as long as I brake a little or shift when on the level so there's no force on the gears.

Ralph

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble #9  
Mine does the same thing. I haveto echo the others when I say all gear boxes have that issue. You can't properly syncro a gear reducing range box like you can most other things. Keep in mind with most manual setups yu are moving when you shift and the syscros can line up. In this setup you have to be stopped to reduce it. On an incline should be the worst.

/ 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble
Thanks for telling me this is a normal condtion.