Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD2210

Default 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble

My 2210 has an intermittent problem when shifting low to high. It wonít go or was tough to get it into high. The warrantee is just about up so I had the dealer take a look at it. He called me and said that he couldnít get it to fail. He called the factory and they said that this is a normal condition while in low 4 wheel drive shifting to high especially on a hard packed surface. Something to do with torque on the transmission. I thought about it and it did seem to happen more in 4 wheel drive. It also happened in 2 wheel drive while pulling my Sea-doo up the boat ramp. I would stop halfway up the incline to shift into high and it was a little tough shifting. On a flat surface in 2 wheel drive shifting into high I canít recall having trouble. Has anyone else here ever had this problem?

Silver Member

Default Re: 2210 Shifting Low to High Trouble

I notice the same thing on my 2305. The trick is to feather the forward peddle on the HST just a touch to get it to go into gear. My JD sales guy showed me this trick when he was showing me the tractor on the lot at the dealership the very first time on sat on the machine while I was still shopping around.

Hope this works!
    2007 John Deere 2520, 200CX loader, Allied rear mount blower, 60" Buhler RFM, i-Match hitch, ballast box, 25 gal electric sprayer, 60" Buhler box blade, 60" Kodiak rotary mower, Moosehead beer holder.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305 w/R4's, ROPS rear and front lights

Quote Originally Posted by DonS
    My 2210 has an intermittent problem when shifting low to high. It wonít go or was tough to get it into high. The warrantee is just about up so I had the dealer take a look at it. He called me and said that he couldnít get it to fail. He called the factory and they said that this is a normal condition while in low 4 wheel drive shifting to high especially on a hard packed surface. Something to do with torque on the transmission. I thought about it and it did seem to happen more in 4 wheel drive. It also happened in 2 wheel drive while pulling my Sea-doo up the boat ramp. I would stop halfway up the incline to shift into high and it was a little tough shifting. On a flat surface in 2 wheel drive shifting into high I canít recall having trouble. Has anyone else here ever had this problem?
    Do as Gord already said... tinker a bit with the pedals and you'll get the hang of it. A little back or a little forward while in neutral or gear.... brake & then it'll slip right in gear for you.
    JD 3120 - eHydro, R4 tires, 300X FEL w/62" bucket, 48" Pallet Forks & bale spear (from Palletforks.com), Frontier 2060bb,72" rear blade, Farm Pride 3 pt snowblower 50", JD 655 tiller, Frontier 3pt Spreader, Ballast Box & i-Match.... Hustler Super Z zero turn w/72" mower & Kawasaki (LOVE this machine)

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD2210

I tried to feather it and that didn't work. Have to shift back to low move a bit then it will shift.

Tractor
    JD 2210

Feathering works on my 2210.
    Cheers!

JDFANATIC

JD2210, 62" MMM, 210 FEL, 48" York Rake, 46" Snowthrower, loaded turfs, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Folding Rops

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

That kind of symptom is very typical of many gear boxes. Feathering the pedal will move the gears a bit til they line up better. I have to do the same thing on my 2210 some times too. I've had lots of cars that straight cut reverse gears that required the same kind of thing to get into reverse.
    John Deere 2210, 54"mmm, FEL, 60" Farm King rear blade, 48" Farm King Tiller, 48" Farm King rear blower, 48 Farm King box blade, 3 PT 25 gallon sprayer and KK XB sub soiler/ middle buster modded for my Imatch and plowing pipe.

Tractor
    John Deere 2210 & JD 650 1968 - 140 H-1 & 1969 - 140 H-3 , 1973 JD 11O

Never really thought of it as a problem on my 2210 it's the nature of a hydrostatic transmission. Just a tap on the pedal and it slides right in. Every hydrostatic transmission that I ever owned has had this same problem, some worst then others.

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

Never had a problem going into High. On my 4010, I sometimes have to feather the forward or reverse pedals to get it into Low.

Can shift into High or Low on the run as long as I brake a little or shift when on the level so there's no force on the gears.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Tractor
    2210 JD

Mine does the same thing. I haveto echo the others when I say all gear boxes have that issue. You can't properly syncro a gear reducing range box like you can most other things. Keep in mind with most manual setups yu are moving when you shift and the syscros can line up. In this setup you have to be stopped to reduce it. On an incline should be the worst.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD2210

Thanks for telling me this is a normal condtion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast