Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions #1  

aakelley

I've been a lurker in these forums for almost a year now. Never had reason to post until now. You guys helped a lot in the selection of my JD 3120 in March earlier this year, so thanks.

I have used my 3120 all summer, mostly for mowing and bush hogging the 10 acres of lawn and field of our 22 acre "recreational property" (as my real farmer father-in-law like to call it). It has been a great experience overall and I would highly recommend the 3120 to anyone looking at taking care of that size of property. I only have a few implements at this point including the LX5 rotary cutter (they made a deal at the dealership when I bought the 3120), a Woods finish mower, a 3 pt blade and a carry all. I am really looking forward to getting a 300CX as soon as I can afford it to help out in the barn (we have 2 horses...for now...more on the way).

Anyway, I have two questions for the wizened JD owners out there:

1 - I live in Crittenden, KY which is not the coldest place on earth, but it is down to get down to 10 deg F for a few days a year. Assuming I won't be using the 3120 every weekend like I do in the summer, is there anything I need to do to "winterize" it? I keep it covered in a metal shed attached to the barn, but there aren't any doors so it is somewhat exposed.

2 - While I said I used it mostly for mowing, I did take it out this weekend (since it was fairly warm) to cut a few trails in the 12 acres of woods we have. It did really well on Saturday, but on Sunday I got a tree stuck in the front and it damaged the light and the grill. Is there a good place to get replacement parts like this? I have found lots of places for replacement belts, filters, etc. But no one that seems to sell the "skin"?

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions #2  
I don't believe that you will be able to get those replacement parts anywhere but a john deere dealer for a premium price.

As for winterizing, You may want to put the oil viscosity recomended in the manual for winter use. In cold weather just make sure you let it warm up a little longer. especialy if you have a hydro transmision.

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions #3  
Maybe a shot of diesel treatment.

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions
Upon further inspection of the damage it looks like I will be able to get away with some glue on a few of the screw holes that extend off the left front plastic of the hood. I will save the money I would have spent on replacement parts to buy one of the hood guards they have on jd.com.

Thanks for the tips on the winterizing. I have seen a few other threads recommending a few specific products that I will try out.

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions #5  
aakelley said:
...I will save the money I would have spent on replacement parts to buy one of the hood guards they have on jd.com...

If you are even thinking about getting an FEL, you should know that it comes with the "standard" hood guard. I can't imagine not having an FEL with a tractor like this... I keep coming up with dozens of uses for it...

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions #6  
Every time I take off my FEL it feels like I am driving a sports car :D

The JD configurator allows you to add a 300CX without a hood guard. Not sure if the dealer can as well?

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions
Do any of you know what glue to use on the plastic on the 3120 hood?

Tried Gorilla Glue with not so good results.

/ Newbie 3120 Owner - a few questions #8  
You will want to use cyanocrylate adhesives - a gap filing type will work well. Go to a hobby store - one that sells model planes - if you have one local.