1020 carb problems, still

/ 1020 carb problems, still #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
My 1020 is having a flooding problem again, it lasted 7 or 8 months this time, but on dec 23, i was going to put out some hay, and sure enough, it started flooding again. to solve the problem, temporarily anyway, i put a shut off valve in front of the carb, and turned it down so there is a very small hole for the gas to go thru. I've been using it like this because its to dang cold to go outside and tear the carb apart again, plus i really don't know what else i would do to stop the problem. someone offered me a new carb for @ $200 on tbn when i started having this problem, that may be my next option, sure hope they're still out there??
heehaw

/ 1020 carb problems, still #2  
my 1010 is doing the same thing. if I leave the shut off valve open the carb starts to drip gas at a very high rate out the air intake and and bottom strainer. It gets so bad that i can't get it started because it floods the plugs I believe. I had it apart and looked at the float valve (which I believe is the problem) I was going to test the float but ran out of time. The service manual says you can test the float for leaks by imersing it in hot water and look for air bubbles. I to would like to redo the carb but can not find less expensive parts

/ 1020 carb problems, still
i have been getting the needle valve and seats at the local auto parts store, for @ $7..i have tested the float, it test ok..if i don't buy a new carb i am going to go to a napa auto parts store and see if they have the needle valve and seat.
heehaw

/ 1020 carb problems, still #4  
You can test the needle and seat by closing the fuel valve, taking the float bowl off and while holding the float up, turn the fuel back on. There should be no fuel coming out. If you lower the float, fuel should run out. Sometimes dirt will get into there and not let it fully seat.
Also, when the float goes bad, it will usually have some fuel inside the float.

/ 1020 carb problems, still
i took the carb off the tractor, took the fuel bowl off, turned the carb upside down, and hooked an electric fuel pump to the carb; fuel came around the threads of the seat; but not around the needle valve..i have tried several different thread sealers, the last one was suppose to work in gas, and it lasted 7-8 months..that's why i am hoping whoever offered me a new carb for $200 will read this and make the offer again..
heehaw