Tractor
    john deere 790 2 wd

Default John Deere 790

I have just purchased a 2001 790 2 wd from the local dealer. The tractor has 315 hours on it. The dealer said the previous owner bought the unit new from him, used it exclusively for rototilling and traded it in because he wanted one of the newer models with a newfangled transmission that is easier to till with.

I am getting ready to retire and last used a tractor (red belly Ford) in the sixties. I was told that the power of the 790 is about equal to the red belly but the Deere is lighter weight. I have a 5 ft disk, a two bottom plow and a one row cultivator that I inherited. I also have a Woods 5 ft tiller.

I had the dealer put fluid in the rear tires. the area I will be using the tractor is mostly level with probably 1/2 to one acrea that is 5 or six degrees slope. We used the redbelly on the sloped area without problem.

Total field size is about 10-12 acres and will be used for truck gardens.

Will I need to add additional weight to the front?

Is there any thing specific I need to watch for?

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4320

Default Re: John Deere 790

I would consider weights for the slope. I had a 790 MFD that would get really light on the frontend when I climbed hills with my JD 506 bush hog.

Thank you.
    Jim
    John Deere 4320 with FEL and 448 back hoe,
    John Deere 2210 with 200CX loader, MMM, Weight box
    Kubota ZD 25

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

You might find the tractor runs out of traction before power...especially with the larger implements.
    You don't mention the type of tires on the machine, however since the previous owner used it for tilling, I'd wager you have Ag tires on it. They would be your best bet for the work you describe.
    Front weights from a dealer are going to cost you about a buck per pound plus about $140 for a front weight kit (don't know what all's included with the kit). I wouldn't go for front weights yet...see if you need them first.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; 11-30-2006 at 05:36 AM.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD 790

I can feel the front end of my 790 get light even with a FEL up front when going up hills. You can try first without weights, but be prepared to add weights. Roys pricing is right. They run about $40 for a 40# weight. The suitcase handle design makes them very easy to move around.

I use my weights on a boxblade. I hang them on the sides as needed. If you hang 3-5 of them on one side only, tilt the boxblade and lower the rippers on one side only, you can really dig an angled ditch quickly.
    Lewis Gordon

JD 790, 300 FEL, 5' KK rotary mower, 5' boxscraper, Huskee 3PT logsplitter, JD#39N sickle mower and a Jinma 6" chipper in JD colors.

My XUV gas Gator wants a brother !!!!!!!! (the diesel kind)