Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #1  

orlo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2305/JD 4720 cab
Hi:

I'm looking for a tractor mounted stump grinder. Ideally I'd like one I could use both on my 2305 (18pto HP) and my 3320 (25 pto HP). I'm seriously considering the Shaver Stumpbuster SC-25 rated for 15-35 PTO HP). Does anyone have a pro/con experience with this model or any other models?

Thanks,

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #2  
I own a Worksaver SG-26 (very similar to the Shaver) mounted to a Kubota L3130 with 24 PTO horsepower. Smaller stumps are very manageable but larger ones require a lot more horsepower (I have stalled the tractor even while going very slow with a sweep). Technique will help optimize the amount of time each stump takes.

My recommendation is not to mount the unit on your smaller tractor. Besides the horsepower issue, the grinder is heavy with a lot of weight over 3 feet from the rear of the tractor. I always keep the FEL on as a counter balance to the grinder's mass. The grinder also requires two remote valves (up/down, side to side sweep) that will run some dollars, so concentrating on one tractor for that is better than two. PM me if you need more info.

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted
Thanks Chuck:

For the valves I was just going to run lines from my SCV outlets for the loader
to the rear. (I have a third SCV on the 3320). I'll just lock the loader in place
when I use the grinder. I could get the electric diverters on the 3320 but those are big bucks. Thanks for the advice though. If I did use it on the 2305 I'd probably only use it for smaller stumps. I will definitely use it on the 3320 first and maybe only on the 3320 depending upon how it handles.

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #4  
I have hired stump grinders three times. Two different machines. Take note, this is a very dirty job. The operators and machines were covered with heavy dust after the first hour. There were piles of dirt up to six inches tall on flat surfaces in some places on the frame of the machine after a couple hours. The machines were powered by air cooled Stationary industrial engines and had oil bath air cleaners. The operation shook the living daylights out of the machine. The one time, with the biggest machine, about a 4 foot diamter cutter wheel, when the operator was on a break, I was talking with him and looking over the machine. I noticed a bunch of LARGE fasteners were loosening up. He was surprised, and we found the wrenches and pipe extension to crank them down. There were also welds that had been re-done on the machine, and others breaking. This was not a poorly-maintained machine, rather, this is one really hard job. The dirt and dust is one thing, and the pounding it produces is intense. One large stump took the guy over two hours, and he did not stop.
My point, if you do not have it already, is that you are going to ruin a really nice tractor doing this with it. You do not have the right air filter system, so filters are going to cost you a lot of money to replace as often as it will be needed. And, stuff is going to loosen up and fall off your tractor, lost in the dirt, from the pounding it will have to endure. That's my 2 cents' worth.

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #5  
I have an Aunt that told me to use a stump grinder, a good ol North Dakota gal. After doing some research I figured that I could save my tractor some wear and tear as was mentioned. Then to remove the stumps to use a back hoe. Then you have the back hoe for other uses. It will cost more, but you get a lot more use, at least IMHO.

steve

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #6  
The fastest way to grind stumps is with a machine like this. He took 23 minutes to grind this 30 inch diameter stump 14 inches below ground level. The tree was cut down the day before and the stump was about 10 inches above ground. There was no dust, only chips.

Attachments

• photo_0004.jpg
    photo_0004.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 526
   / Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #7  
more pics

Attachments

• photo_0005.jpg
    photo_0005.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 381
  • photo_0006.jpg
    photo_0006.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 301
  • photo_0007.jpg
    photo_0007.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 364
   / Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #8  
Hey guys I know this is rather old, but I have never heard of what you guys are talking about. I have never owned a stump grinder, but have never seen anyone say that it is hard on a machine. For example I know that snow removal is hard on just about any equipment you have doing it rather it be a truck or tractor. However I have never heard this about stump grinding.

I am not trying to be an @$$ just trying to get as much knowledge as possible. Because this year I am insured as a Residential Arborist. So one service that I want to be able to offer but currently can not is stump grinding. So this thread makes me very uneasy because I planned to go out and buy a brand new tractor and stump grinder to do this kind of work.

Now the reason I decided on a tractor and not a machine specific to stump removal as Big Tiller mentioned is because I can use it to do many more jobs rather than just grinding stumps. For example just as his name suggests I can buy a tiller for my own garden and offer it as a service to other people as well. I was planning on running a set-up like the following one to a tractor slightly bigger. For example the tractor in this video is a John Deere 2520 and I planned on a 2720. You can see it is having a little bit of trouble but looks like it is getting the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C35MP5IUik

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #9  
I've got a Woods stump grinder on the back of my 3320. I have ground well over 1200 pine stumps out of my land with it. Pretty good for soft woods....but hard-woods take allot longer. Most of my stumps were sheared low to the ground and are about 12" diameter. I grind them to about 8" below the ground....and pay no attention to the dirt. It is not a dirty operation....as all the debris is thrown away from the tractor / operator. I stay in the seat to operate the grinder. Most of mine are ground out in a few minutes. I still have the original teeth in my grinder....and they work well.

The pivot joints in my grinder are getting a little loose. I will need to look at shimming them this year. Read posts by searching "woods stump grinder" on the attachments pages.

/ Stump Grinder Recommendations Wanted #10  
I've got a Woods stump grinder on the back of my 3320. I have ground well over 1200 pine stumps out of my land with it. Pretty good for soft woods....but hard-woods take allot longer. Most of my stumps were sheared low to the ground and are about 12" diameter. I grind them to about 8" below the ground....and pay no attention to the dirt. It is not a dirty operation....as all the debris is thrown away from the tractor / operator. I stay in the seat to operate the grinder. Most of mine are ground out in a few minutes. I still have the original teeth in my grinder....and they work well.

The pivot joints in my grinder are getting a little loose. I will need to look at shimming them this year. Read posts by searching "woods stump grinder" on the attachments pages.

Thank you for your reply Foggy. My problem (to anyone that cares) is that I really wanted a John Deere 2720. Because unlike the 3 Series Family like you have I can attach a 62" Belly Mower to the 2720. Now you can attach the 62" Belly Mower to your 3320 or any of the larger ones but it is sort of counter productive since the tractor is already so large. Basically I really wanted a working Stump Grinder with the 2720 because I could also mow with it. The 72" Belly Mower that goes on the 3 Series Family Tractors is just way too big. I already have a zero turn tough so I might have to settle for something in the 3 Series Family. The PTO HP between the 2720 and 3320 is only 1.5 difference though. So I am not certain on what I want to do. I am going to be using the Stump Grinder in my business and there are a few oak trees that I will be taking down this year and need to grind up the stumps. So I may really need to think about something more powerful. As I know one of the oaks is about 60-70 feet tall so it is not going to be and easy task, especially when it comes time to get rid of the stump.