2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #1  

jimdiesel1

Bronze Member
Do any one you 2210 or 2305 owners have a 47" front snowblower attachment on your tractor? Any feedback on it? I have listened to one running and cannot believe how loud it is! The same blower on the X series of garden tractors is so much quieter. I realize that the driveshaft makes such a radical transition from under the front axle back up to the blower that some noise is to be expected,but boy oh boy,this is way too loud. Any fixes or similar experiences out there? Please speak up on the forum as I love the 2305 (certainly the BEST of subcompacts) but this attachment situation with the front pto has me ery concerned. I suppose this also applies to front broom users,any front pto is faced with the same front hitch issues. Thanks!!
I'll keep watching for your replies!

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #2  
My neighbor has a 2210 with the 47" blower, I never thought it was loud at all:confused:

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #3  
I have a 2305 with 47" snowthrower (2 stage). Used it 3 times so far this winter. I had not thought the noise excessive. I can hear the auger, but don't notice noise from pto.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #4  
jim,

Grease goes a long way. Do you think the unit you heard was lacking some?

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question
Grease isn't a problem although I wish it was! The unit is new at the dealer and they are stumped as well,they have tried many things so far. They are in contact with DTAC at Deere on it also. I know they replaced the blower with another brand new unit which also makes the same loud noises. This seems to point to the PTO shaft somewhere before the 'blower to me. You know that the PTO shaft is in an extreme angle situation since it has to run under the power front axle. It then attaches to a splined shaft mounted in a bracket which gives the "upward" angle for the snowblower u-joint shaft to attach to.
So to summarize,the long telescoping shaft from the mid pto on the 2305 runs to a short shaft mounted below the front weight bracket just ahead of the axle. This shaft ,with male splines at each end of it's length(about 14" long)is supported by 2 self-aligning bearings. It sits at an angle facing upwards at approx. 35-40 degrees to meet the snowblower's short telescoping driveshaft. So the entire front pto driveline is at a rather harsh angle to clear the front axle yet get power to the front quick hitch.

They unhooked the 'blower's power takeoff (short telescoping pto shaft behind the blowers impeller) and ran the pto "unloaded". It did not produce any unusual noise in this mode(remember it was not pulling any load). They installed a second new 47" snowblower and ran it,thinking that the noise was related to the first blower. Same loud noises. Verified chain alignment was correct(it was perfect) Noise increases relative to rpm . It is very difficult to pinpoint while running.
I realize that some usual noise is normal,been around lots of 445s and x series tractors as well as a 2210 that did not generate this much noise,not even close.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #6  
Hi:

I used mine all last winter. Pretty quiet except if you lift it all the way up, then the driveline lash get's noisy. One thing I'd check is that the bearings are seated in the front PTO adapter. I put mine all together and remember that if things weren't tight it seemed like it would make a lot of noise with the small intermediate shaft moving.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #7  
Mine was definitely louder than the belt drive blower on my old garden tractor. What I did find is that phasing the two drive shafts helps and when you start blowing snow the noise goes away. Also the heated cab with a radio goes a long way.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #8  
I just went through the install on my 2305 with a 1 year old 47" 2-stage snowblower. Yes, it is audible when engaged but I didn't consider it to be overly loud.

I would guess it'll get even quiter when actually run in snow - haven't had to try mine yet.

Scott

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #9  
jimdiesel1 said:
Do any one you 2210 or 2305 owners have a 47" front snowblower attachment on your tractor? Any feedback on it? I have listened to one running and cannot believe how loud it is! The same blower on the X series of garden tractors is so much quieter. I realize that the driveshaft makes such a radical transition from under the front axle back up to the blower that some noise is to be expected,but boy oh boy,this is way too loud. Any fixes or similar experiences out there? Please speak up on the forum as I love the 2305 (certainly the BEST of subcompacts) but this attachment situation with the front pto has me ery concerned. I suppose this also applies to front broom users,any front pto is faced with the same front hitch issues. Thanks!!
I'll keep watching for your replies!

I just picked one up for my tractor. Like JDF said... check to see if it needs greased, again. I know they said it is greased and ready to go. But be sure ALL the zirks have been hit really good and the oil box is full. I thought mine was a little noisy too (not bad) so I went around and hit all the zirks again. They didn't take a ton but my machine is definitely quieter. Good luck and keep us posted...

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #10  
There aren't many zirks on the 47SB - seems there are a couple on the auger (so it'll spin free if you break a shear bolt) and that's about it.

Are there any by the chain or the short PTO knuckle?

Also - make sure you have a few shear bolts on hand. Never fails that you'll break one right after the JD dealer closes. Putting regular bolts in is a bad idea - bad things can happen in the gearbox. I've been told that there is a spot for a few of these to be stored right on the 47SB - anyone know where that is?

Scott