JD 790

/ JD 790 #1  

tex25025

I have had this tractor for about 2 months now, love it so far. I was just wanting to know if there were any personality quirks that these tractors have or that the front end loader has? This is the first time I have owned one with a front end loader, the other tractor I have is a 650. I have run a friend of mine's Gehl bobcat, but I didn't have to worry about exposed hydraulic hoses or attaching or dettaching hoses as you do on this tractor. I'm just looking for litle tidbits that you have figured out on owning this particular tractor, what I need to be weary of, most efficient ways you have figured out in running this tractor, any little tidbit would be helpful. Thanks for the input.

/ JD 790 #2  
I know two people who have them and the only thing they ever complain about is that the hydraulic flow is a little less than what you would expect from a tractor of 30 or 26 HP. mechanically, they are rock solid.

/ JD 790 #3  
My dad and I have co-owned a 790 since 2001 and it is a great tractor.. Some time is the not so far past there was a problem with the battery box rusting out, but I think that was fixed.. I dont get to use it as much as I like, but I did find out that if the temperature gauge even starts to climb off cold there radiator prescreen is clogged with junk..

enjoy

Brian

/ JD 790 #4  
I have had mine for 7-8 months now and I love it. Have had no problems with it at all. I did get the battery replaced under warranty because there was some corrosion starting to form around the terminals. The only other quirk I have found with mine is if I have a really heavy load in the bucket and try to dump it, sometimes it will 'hang-up' for 5 secs or so before continuing to dump the bucket the rest of the way. They looked into it but could never duplicate the concern. I can't wait to get some snow so I can see how it does at clearing out the driveway. I pull a 12' disc in the horse arena and it handles it with no problems at all. It is a very strong machine and can do everything I ask of it. I just turned over 52 hours. Just changed the oil and filter at 48 hours. Good luck with it and enjoy!!

/ JD 790 #5  
I've owned one for 2 1/2 Yrs and love it. I did have the batterie leak problem that everyone has had. I replaced it with an Optima and no more problem.
I purchased a "tooth bar" like on a back hoe easy two hole mount on the bucket and greatly improves digging. I also have a rotery tiller,back blade, JD heavy duty 60' finish mower and med. duty 60" bushhog. Handles everything great. You do need to have something hooked up in back to do much with the loader since the 790 is light even with fluid filled tires.
You bought a winner!

/ JD 790
nick72126 said:
I purchased a "tooth bar" like on a back hoe easy two hole mount on the bucket and greatly improves digging.790 is light even with fluid filled tires.

I thought you couldn't do teeth on this bucket for digging? I had asked the sales guy that I was dealing with that very thing and he had said I would have to have gotten a different bucket in order to do that it would entail getting a bigger tractor, which would have been too much, not that I wouldn't have liked having a bigger tractor, but it wouldnt' have been practical. I did notice that the tractor was a little light, but I can't do the fluid in the tires, because I use it for mowing my horse pastures as well and with fluid in those aggressive tires, it would ripe right into those pastures, so I just use the ballast box filled most of the time with leftover bricks from past building projects.

/ JD 790 #7  
My dealer said a Deere toothbar was not available for my bucket, 54" I think. They offered one for the next size up bucket. Several other companies make them to fit my bucket and I bought a Markham. JC

/ JD 790 #8  
2kpsd said:
The only other quirk I have found with mine is if I have a really heavy load in the bucket and try to dump it, sometimes it will 'hang-up' for 5 secs or so before continuing to dump the bucket the rest of the way. They looked into it but could never duplicate the concern.

When this happens, try not to push the joystick so far to the right. You are hitting the "regenerative" or "regen" function of the DSCV and stalling the dump cylinders.

Read this post from Kubmech for a great explaination...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/9403-3-position-valve-vs-4-a.html

Hope this helps...

/ JD 790 #9  
tex25025 said:
I thought you couldn't do teeth on this bucket for digging?

You can purchase a bolt-on removable "tooth bar". Alot of TBN members have purchased thiers from Markham Welding, expect to pay about $250-$300 including shipping.
They are certainly worth the money when you need to dig into hard-packed dirt.

Markham Welding - Tooth Bar

/ JD 790 #10  
The 790 is a very solid little tractor. I'm not big into bells and whistles and am very happy with it. I owned a 1050 that I bought new in 1986 and I had no problems with that tractor also up util I sold it in 1993.The size of the 790 is perfect for my property (5 acres). I use it mostly for skidding logs off my woodlot, moving the processed firewood from my drying area to winter storage, moving rocks, maintaining my driveway, building flower gardens, light landscaping and lastly plowing snow.