Mowing Frontier Finish Mower

/ Frontier Finish Mower #1  

Kahuna

Silver Member
I know its not grass cutting season but I got a 3320 and was wanting a finish mower. I have the chance to get a Frontier GM1060E which is the 5 foot economy model. I looked up on the JD web site and the economy model has a 30hp gearbox and 11 guage reinforced deck. The regular GM1060R (regular duty) has a 40hp gearbox with a 8 gauge deck. I can live with a smaller gear box but what concerns me is the 11 gauge vs the 8 gauge deck. Will 11 gauge be heavy enough? I think I am getting a good price on the economy model, which is why I am looking at this in the dead of winter. It is a new left over 2005 still in the crate for $1000 which includes the optional I-match conversion kit. I am told this until usualy sells for $1950 for the mower alone but I don't know if that is true. Any experience out there?

/ Frontier Finish Mower #2  
I have had both and the E mower is fine for most standard duty usage. I used mine for mowing some fairly heavy grass and ran it behind both a 3720 and a 4520, both of which had more PTO HP than the mower technically could handle--and it did fine. It definitely DOES NOT cut as well as the standard Frontier mower, due to its reduced blade tip speed, but it cuts fairly well except in really deep or wet grass, where two passes were sometimes needed to get the cut to standard. My opinion is specifically with regard to your question: yes, it will last and yes it will cut fine and hold up fairly well. With regard to whether I would buy another, absolutely not. Even with a higher pricetag, the Frontier R series mowers are much nicer and do a superior job. Unless the price difference were just huge, spend the extra.

John M

/ Frontier Finish Mower #3  
Any reason you're looking at 60 inch models exclusively? I have a GM1072R in the classifieds here for $1,500.00. It has about 5 hours on it.

/ Frontier Finish Mower
I would like to have the 1072R as it is a heavier machine but I can get the 1060E for $500 less and also get the I-match conversion. Is your I-match ready? and would you consider less?

/ Frontier Finish Mower #5  
Kahuna said:
I would like to have the 1072R as it is a heavier machine but I can get the 1060E for $500 less and also get the I-match conversion. Is your I-match ready? and would you consider less?

The GM1072R is not only bigger and more heavily built, but it has the tip speed necessary to get the lawn finish I think you're looking for. I'm sure you read the post from the guy who has used both. No, I will not take less than $1,500.00. Check with the Frontier specs, but I believe the GM1072R is iMatch compatible without any conversion.

EDIT: I checked. You do need some adapter for the iMatch.

/ Frontier Finish Mower
It looks like the GM1060R takes a WP1005400 conversion kit. I don't how much that one costs, but the conversion for the E model is over $200. If my purchase falls through tomorrow, I may give you a call. I'm going to call another JD dealer in the morning and get some actual prices to know what I am dealing with. Maybe I'm not getting as good a deal as I thought I was. I need to compare the two up close.

/ Frontier Finish Mower #7  
I have the GM1060E. I paid full NW Green Retail. $1,600 rings a bell. My particular deck arrived non-I-Match compatible. My dealer built his own adaptor. Last year I mowed several acres of rough former hayfield and I was pleased as punch with the results. By fall it was starting to look like a lawn, except for all the hills and valleys. The 1060E is not a brush hog, but it seems to hold its own on blackberries, tree roots, stumps and old fence. And I thought it still cut pretty nice too!

With the size of your tractor you have a lot more options to consider. If I could go with a 15-20% larger deck it would shorten my mow time accordingly. How much are you mowing? I went with the largest, fastest mower that I could afford to buy. That meant I had to start with a tractor that I could afford.

I would recommend the GM1060E to anyone with a 2210/2305 or 2320. But if you can power a bigger one....spend the extra and buy it.