JD 2210 smoke

/ JD 2210 smoke #1  

ejb17

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 650, 4520
Hi to all and hope you can help me. My friends 2210 recently started to smoke at the 3000 rpm mark which is where he has to run it for mowing and snowblowing. The fuel filter,oil filter,and air filter were changed when he put the snowblower on around Nov 1. He uses the JD oil and the last 3 or 4 tanks of fuel were the new on road ultra low sulfer fuel treated with a cetane and lubricant additive for this fuel. Previous fuel was on road low sulfer treated in the same manner since it was new. IT has just under 200 hours on it. We know the source of fuel is good in that it has not changed and I have no problems with 2 Ford powerstrokes and 16 c-13 caterpillars in my fleet. We are thinking about double checking the fuel tank and doing a valve adjustment even though it is not due yet. Of course we are going to also check for plugged hose etc. It also has a slight miss at the same spot and if he backs it down to 2500 it seems to go away. I have some experiance with the older 50 series as I have a 650,850, and 1050 MFWD`s. Any help would be great. Thanks.

/ JD 2210 smoke #2  
What color smoke??

/ JD 2210 smoke
The smoke appears to be a little puff of white every time it misses. His dealer told him to use off road fuel in the cold weather. I never heard of that. Sounds like bunk to me. Please help.

/ JD 2210 smoke #4  
White smoke usually occurs when there is not enough temperature to burn the fuel. The unburned fuel particles are then exhausted usually by a rich fuel smell. In cold weather it is not uncommon to get white smoke until engine temperature builds up. One cause of white smoke on engine start up could be faulty glow plugs or glow plug system. Low engine cranking speed can also create an excessive amount of white smoke.

If the problem persists after the engine is up to operating temperature several other things should be checked. A faulty injector can cause white smoke. Timing is often a factor when white smoke is excessive. Low engine compression can cause the problem and the injection pump can also have problems that result in white smoke. Air in the fuel system can also result in white smoke.

/ JD 2210 smoke #5  
It actually MISSES some at 3,000 rpm?

Ralph

/ JD 2210 smoke
The puff of smoke and the miss occur when up to temp. Smells strong like an old Cummins if the pump was turned up. We did a valve adjustment and found all to be a little loose- more than .010. So when the dealer said try off road fuel we emptied the tank. Then I looked up JD fuel spec in his service manual and it said no more than .05 sulfer. This is what he has used. However we found lots of metal filings in the bottom of the tank yet the filter was OK. Was this from the return fuel? As Yash2520 mentions,is there something coming apart on the pump or an injector? Do not think it is an air problem. The miss is very slight but the puffs of smoke are very evident. Cleaned the tank. Any help on what to try next before tearing down would be great.

/ JD 2210 smoke #7  
YASH2520 explained things pretty well; With the miss and white smoke at the same time, I would first suspect faultly fuel injection nozzle. The tip of the faultly nozzle is probably intermittently letting combustion gas/pressure back inside the tip, then on the next injection, that nozzle has air/gas to compress before it can reach its VOP(valve opening pressure) and inject that gas and maybe some fuel. The "time" it takes to compress air/gas (instead of solid fuel) for that cycle actually throws off the "timing" of that particular cylinder and you get white smoke or misfire. On a fuel nozzle bench tester; this type of failure would show up as excessive tip leakage at 200 psi below VOP on the types of fuel nozzles that I have worked on. I guess there could be a possibility of a broken valve spring (like one upper or lower coil broken) causing a valve to bounce off of its seat area at high rpms which would cause low effective compression for that cylinder. This is something that would be RPM related, also. As YASH2520 stated; there are items in a fuel injection pump that have this types of problems too, but that is the last place you should look at=$$$ and usually they are built pretty robustly.

/ JD 2210 smoke #8  
Are you going to to try different fuel, now that the tank is empty? It would be a cheap test.

/ JD 2210 smoke
We cleaned the tank and put in fresh low sulfer fuel and ran the tractor long enough to load and unload at his house and it ran perfect. I am about to give up. He is going use it over the weekend so we shall see. Thanks