Hood Guard for JD990

/ Hood Guard for JD990 #1  

BrianC

Tractor
Kubota L5030
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the optional hood guard for use in protecting the hood with jd loaders.

I just got a new 990 with fel (traded a 950 w/fel) and cant say that I am thrilled with the bucket that came on the loader. The bucket back is so low that as the loader raises, material in the bucket will roll out the back falling onto the hood. Happened today with shavings, thankfully not with something like gravel.

Could anyone offer some advice on what might be a good solution, other than maybe welding some steel to the back? Many thanks.

Kind Regards,

Brian

/ Hood Guard for JD990 #2  
Because it is not a self-leveling bucket arrangement, you have to curl the bucket as you raise it, or its contents will for sure do what you say - end up on your hood or in your lap. Its a technique (skill) worth learning if you plan on raising the bucket high in the air (above your hood). You make it sound like this is coming as a surprise to you. Welding a back board onto the bucket would help, but will hinder your view when filling the bucket. Good luck.

/ Hood Guard for JD990 #3  
Brian, take a look at the Long 4in1 buckets at the Carver web site. Some of these buckets have a back board as std equipment. I have one of these backboard buckets on my 970 JD and vision is not a problelm.

george

/ Hood Guard for JD990 #4  
I don't have that problem with the bucket on my 67 loader, unless I grab a REALLY big mouthful.

Technique is important, but so is intelligent bucket design.

/ Hood Guard for JD990 #5  
dings add character

/ Hood Guard for JD990 #6  
Bad as I hate ta remember It.I had me a 8" chunk of firewood do a big ol slowmotion belly buster slap-dab in the center of the hood!.........Call it what ya like,I dont do that narry again!

/ Hood Guard for JD990 #7  
Yea, even with a hood guard ya still gotta be careful. Like its been said, "Its in the technique".
Settle that load down and level the bucket out./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Last winter while moving snowbanks I had a big ol' chunk of frozen snow roll out of the loader bucket and land right atop the hood. My first thoughts were that the hood was a goner. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

But.... it popped right back, none the worse for wear.

Honestly, must have been the strength of that green paint that saved it fer sure. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Still glad it wasn't a rock though./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

DFB

/ Hood Guard for JD990
Hello beenthere...

It is a surprise to me that the bucket performs as it does. I used a 750 for 3 years and the 950 for 14 years. While there was some degree of lift and curl, it was no comparison to the new one. It requires a great deal of lift and curl to level the load...it is especially a problem if I mistakenly jump the clutch.

George...thanks for the info I will take a look at those designs.

Thanks everone for the response.

Kind Regards

Brian