955 // Anything I should know ?????

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #1  

banditos

Tractor
whats left of a case D530
I just purchased a 97' model 955, with loader and belly mower, and was wondering if there is anything I should watch out for on this model. Any help would be nice . I'm not use to modern equipment, (my other tractor is a 51' M). So far I love it, it truly is amazing what 46 yrs of technoledgy will do !! Thanks

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #2  
Had the same machine a few years back. It was great, no problems whatsoever. I wish you well. Tell us what you think of the loader, wow can you get some work done.

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #3  
I think the only thing you need to know is that the 55 series is a very nice dependable tractor. I really like my 755 it has been real good to me. I was going to trade it off last year but the wife and kids said we needed a new boat so that idea got vetoed. I can't think off anything wrong with the one I own other than it has about 3000 hours on it now and still does not use any oil. The tractor would have been cheaper then the boat.

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #4  
deere755 said:
I think the only thing you need to know is that the 55 series is a very nice dependable tractor. I really like my 755 it has been real good to me. I was going to trade it off last year but the wife and kids said we needed a new boat so that idea got vetoed. I can't think off anything wrong with the one I own other than it has about 3000 hours on it now and still does not use any oil. The tractor would have been cheaper then the boat.

Ditto the above; the 55 series are one of the nicest tractors Deere has offered. Also had a 755. :)

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #5  
Got my 955 as a birthday present from the missus 5 years ago (yep, she's a keeper!! :)) with 143 hours on it, in pristine condition. The guy who owned it musta' spent more time waxing it than working it. It came with a 70 or 70A loader (can't remember which one the 955 takes) to which bucket he'd added a top extension to help push snow better, a 60" Lucknow 3-point blower and Curtis soft cab. $18.9K delivered.

What a great piece of equipment it is!! It just turned over 600 hrs, and I cannot think of a single problem I've had with it. The ease with which it handles any chore is just incredible. At the time I got it, I was clearing a few acres next door for the niece, so I changed the OEM wheels/turf tires out for some industrial lug types (the job's done now, so the turfs are back on). I can't imagine how many hundred tons of logs, rocks, gravel, sand it's moved, pushed away or leveled.

I grease it each spring and fall with J-D's high-tech "polyurea" grease, and change the Rotella "T" Synthetic 5w-40/NAPA 1365 every 100 hours. This is the fourth "55" we've had (brothers both have 755's, and Dad had a 755), and, they make us look for jobs to do!!

Wait - the gray matter's churning. Okay - a problem I HAVE heard of, I think from a guy on this forum, but have not personally experienced, is, one of the power steering hoses was routed against the oil pan, and over time it wore a hole in the pan! :eek: I checked mine ASAP, but nothing was out of the ordinary.

I keep looking at the new J-D's, and they ARE some fine lookers, but:
A. This one's paid for.
B. It does everything I need.
C. I like its mechanical simplicity. Yes, I know this is the electronic age, but I just KNOW one of those new-age, high-tech doo-dads will fail to work just when I need it most.
D. The new ones' ROP's are too high to fit through my garage door.

You've made a fine choice.

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #6  
wonderful machines. Just be nice to it and do all the maintenance and it should last a very long time. They look better if you replace the black seat with a yellow one though :)
Every 955 I have seen had a 70A loader. It will accept a newer loader though, if you ever want to upgrade. For instance, the 300X loader will fit it, though it would look a tad wierd. But you can use several of the newer loaders with detachable buckets.

Careful not to overstress it. I sheared a ring gear bolt once, pulling backwards against a log pile in 4x4, diff locked and on hard dirt. Since they are all one case more or less and share fluid, it cost $4500 to rebuild the diff,transaxle,hydro,4x4,... :(

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #7  
Congratulations!

I've got a 855 and it's great.

I had trouble starting in the cold. The 855 has an electric module that plugs into a recepticle mounted on the engine side of the firewall (Don't know if the 955 is the same but it might be). The module controls the air heater for cold starts. Dirt and dust got in the module plug and stopped the heater from working even though the indicator light said it was working. Pulled the module, cleaned the dirt out of the plug and all was well again. This happened twice. Just a small inconvenience once you know what it is.

Basically, the tractor is bullet proof.

/ 955 // Anything I should know ????? #8  
I have had 4 955s. Great machines. Problem areas?

The rad grilles are hard to take on and off and don't stay on by
themselves. AND you have to remove it to get at the air
filter and battery. A new grille is $400, BTW. Many used
x55s have no grille as a result.

Too d_mn many safety interlock devices, electric and mechanical.
They are the first problem to look for when your tractor won't start.

This tractor is LOUD, but has more hp than most others under 2K lb.

Also, the front axle pivot pin is only 1 inch diam, and it is very hard to
adequately grease.

/ 955 // Anything I should know ?????
Spent about 4 hrs on it, got some gravel spread (2 tons), and massive ruts all smoothed out,( cement trucks got stuck ). So far I am very impressed with size to power ratio. Thanks