Finally able to transport!

/ Finally able to transport! #1  

GordNovo

Silver Member
Well the missus gave me the nod to start shopping for a trailer for the horses. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, so I made sure it could also accomodate the 2305!

There's a slant wall on the inside, dividing the cargo from the tack room , giving me 10' length on the butt wall and 14 ' length on the head wall. Based on some initial measurements, I can get the tractor in with the FEL attached, but I'll need to take the rear ballast off (bb, blower or whatever).

With 2X7000# axles, I shouldn't have any difficulties pulling the tractor around.

One thing I'll need to determine is which way to park it to best position the heaviest point over the axles. My guess is the FEL and motor are probably the heaviest meaning I should probably back into the trailer.

I imagine I'll also need to fashion some kind of strapping system to secure the machine inside the closed trailer, or do you think I can get away with blocks around the front and back wheels with the e-brake engaged?

I haven't checked code restrictions in our province yet.

Anyhow.. I'm getting the gooseneck hitch installed this week and heading down to Wichita to pick it up next week. Can't wait!

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 569
   / Finally able to transport! #2  
Looks like a nice trailer with many years of service to you. I'm not sure I would try the block idea, kinda like your thought of the strap/tie downs anchors or something with the E brake.

Good Luck and thank the Mrs.

/ Finally able to transport! #3  
Straps/chains, no question. The reason being, that if you hit a big enough bump and the machine bounces, it's not secured to anything while it's bouncing. Plus, if you are in a wreck of some sort, the tie-downs will keep the machine restrained/contained and you won't get run over by your own machine. In the US, at least, the Federal trailering laws are very specific about how you connect your trailer to your tow vehicle, lighting and require using "adequate" tie-downs.

When you choose them, get ones that are heavy enough to restrain the machine in a worst case situation and that the anchor points you use will stand the stress too.

BILL

/ Finally able to transport! #4  
GordNovo said:
Well the missus gave me the nod to start shopping for a trailer for the horses. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, so I made sure it could also accomodate the 2305!

There's a slant wall on the inside, dividing the cargo from the tack room , giving me 10' length on the butt wall and 14 ' length on the head wall. Based on some initial measurements, I can get the tractor in with the FEL attached, but I'll need to take the rear ballast off (bb, blower or whatever).

With 2X7000# axles, I shouldn't have any difficulties pulling the tractor around.

One thing I'll need to determine is which way to park it to best position the heaviest point over the axles. My guess is the FEL and motor are probably the heaviest meaning I should probably back into the trailer.

I imagine I'll also need to fashion some kind of strapping system to secure the machine inside the closed trailer, or do you think I can get away with blocks around the front and back wheels with the e-brake engaged?

I haven't checked code restrictions in our province yet.

Anyhow.. I'm getting the gooseneck hitch installed this week and heading down to Wichita to pick it up next week. Can't wait!

Curious, what kind of truck do you have for the trailer?

/ Finally able to transport! #5  
More than a half ton obviousely! :D

/ Finally able to transport!
Deadman said:
More than a half ton obviousely! :D

Well actually.... I'll be pulling with a '04 Dodge Ram QC 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi.

The truck weighs 5000#
The trailer weighs 4800#
The tractor weight is 1500#
The FEL weight is (est) 1000#

With my 392 axle ratio, I'm good to 8500#s according to my manual.

The truck's CGVWR is 14,000#s.

Based on my calculations, I'm well within limits! (unless someone tells me the FEL weighs 2500#s!!!)

Plus with the gooseneck, controlling this load shouldn't be too difficult (I hope)

/ Finally able to transport! #7  
By your specs you should be able to haul the 7300# (trailer with tractor inside) just fine. Be prepared for a loss in fuel mileage when towing that much weight behind you and allow for plenty of room to stopping. Now that the Mrs. gave you the nod for the trailer maybe she'll give you the nod for a 3/4 or 1 ton with a diesel (hint hint).
Once you get the hitch and hook the trailer to it then you can load the tractor inside to see where you'll need to install some tiedowns to hold the tractor. Your local tractor supply store sells D-rings that can bolt through the floor using either a backing plate or bolted to the trailer frame underneath. then you can secure your tractor to them with chains and binders.

/ Finally able to transport! #8  
Thats way more than I'd do with a Half ton, simply because Todays half tons are built very light and have the weakest components on them.....axles, brakes, frames, suspension, transmissions, tires, wheels,......etc.

Not that a 1/2 ton can't pull it, but the general rule of thumb is that you NEVER put a 5th wheel trailer behind a 1/2 ton. You better get yoruself a new set of stiffer tires, because you get a TON of side-pressure from a 5th wheel trailer and stock 1/2 ton tires will not take that stress at high speed for long periods of time.

Just be safe and enjoy it! :D

/ Finally able to transport! #9  
Looks like a nice trailer. Is it constructed out of steel or alum ? I know the steel ones tend to pull hard and of course with the extra weight comes the push when stopping. I would go with the stiffer sidewall tires to be on the safe side. Otherwise I think you can pull it fine. A relative has a 4 horse trailer with a tac room and sleeping quarters in the front. His V-10 ford scouts out the fuel stops on a consistant basis.

/ Finally able to transport! #10  
GordNovo said:
Well actually.... I'll be pulling with a '04 Dodge Ram QC 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi.

The truck weighs 5000#
The trailer weighs 4800#
The tractor weight is 1500#
The FEL weight is (est) 1000#

With my 392 axle ratio, I'm good to 8500#s according to my manual.

The truck's CGVWR is 14,000#s.

Based on my calculations, I'm well within limits! (unless someone tells me the FEL weighs 2500#s!!!)

Plus with the gooseneck, controlling this load shouldn't be too difficult (I hope)

Have you or are you considering adding trailer brakes adjustment to the truck? I know there are different options, but mine is adjustable (adjust the amount of current to the trailer brakes) and you can make the trailer slow down the truck very nicely as opposed to making the truck do everything. It's one thing to pull something, but it's another to stop. Happy Towing.