870 Intermittent Starting Prob???

/ 870 Intermittent Starting Prob??? #1  

marks

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 870
This 870 with 750h usually starts fine, and the battery is new. However, yesterday it would start intermittently even when the engine was warm. Various throttle positions wouldn't make a difference. The PTO was not engaged. During the past 2 years there's been less than 50h since it's service. Could it be a fuel filter, injector pump? Where does the trouble shooting begin?

Thx

/ 870 Intermittent Starting Prob??? #2  
Many things can cause this but I would check the electrical connects, for example, the grounding could be loose on the frame. The switch wires can be loose, etc. Shake the key in the switch while you are trying to crank it.
Leo

/ 870 Intermittent Starting Prob??? #3  
Marks, what exactly is it doing? Cranking and not firing???

/ 870 Intermittent Starting Prob???
Yes it will crank, but not fire. Because the throttle position doesn't impact the firing, maybe it is a loose connection somewhere.

/ 870 Intermittent Starting Prob??? #5  
The easiest thing to check for first is the fuel shut off selenoid. If it is cranking and not firing it is not getting fuel or sufficient heat to fire. To check the selenoid: Open the hood. The selenoid should be located close to the fuel pump. Now turn the key to the ON position. You should hear a distinctive click as the fuel selenoid snaps to the open position and also see it move to open position. If it does not then you are not getting fuel. You can use your hand to hold it in the open position. Now turn the key to the start position and crank the engine while holding the selenoid open. It should fire and start. If it doesn't let me know and we will try something else. If you have any questions email me at dirtworksequip@aol.com and I'll get back with you ASAP.

Sincerely,
DIRT