Questions about JD 5105 and 522 FEL

/ Questions about JD 5105 and 522 FEL #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
Looking at this combination to possibly purchase. One major use would be mowing brush and pasture, and another use would be taking apart old-farm rock piles to get use of ground. I have two questions about the combination of 5105 and the 522 FEL:

1) The hydraulic hoses from the FEL control valve seem to hang down below the tractor on the right side of the platform. I am concerned that they would be vulnerable to getting cut, abraded or just wearing fast from rubbing on brush that I am mowing. I don't plan to detach the FEL for most mowing. Is there any way to protect the hoses better? Does anyone who mows with the FEL on have a problem on this point? I don't see hydraulic hoses hanging down like this on most other FELs.

2) I might eventually want to make, or have custom made, a rock bucket for the FEL. Is it possible to buy just the attachment plate for the JD quick-attach system to use as a starting point to build something? I like the JD quick-attach but I was not impressed by the selection of attachments for the 522 FEL - basically I see conventional bucket, bale spear, and pallet forks.

Thanks in advance.

/ Questions about JD 5105 and 522 FEL #2  
Good choice in tractor.

It was my 1st pick paper spec wise until I drove a ~280~ low houred trade in. 10 minutes & I knew I needed a bigger tractor.

Hyd hoses may be zip striped up closer to the frame, not sure about skid plates on that model. I normally run the loader low when hogging - helps hit rocks & prevent tipping in holes when cutting new fields.

Important note with Deere: tractors are intended to be configured - loaded up with options look beyond the sales brochure, ask parts/service & look at other models on the lot. Last thing you want is a stripped down tractor forcing you into being a tractor monkey jumping on & off using pry bars to attach 3 pt, wrapping chains, ropes, dragging stuff that should be lifted, etc. Going back & fixing the yard where stuff was dragged thru.

Loader attachments should be sized to the loader capacity. Most skid steer stuff is pretty robust. You want the attachment to bend or break; not spring, warp or twist your loader arms or frame. Your dealer probably has inventory and a relationship with a local SS attachment shop & can fix you up with new or used attachments.
One that makes lighter tools … Virnig Manufacturing …

Pix of my snow bucket $120, attachment plates cost $80 so for a total $200 I have a 8' 4 yard snow eating machine. Dealer forgot about it in the back 40 not pretty but now it's my #2 attachment behind my grapple rock bucket.

Attachments

• snow bucket plates.jpg
    snow bucket plates.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 320
   / Questions about JD 5105 and 522 FEL
Thanks for the info. I like the attachments at Virnig - they look heavy duty. For my uses the 5105 is as big as I would need, and I think I would be fine with less. I'm actually taking another look at the 4320 now.

/ Questions about JD 5105 and 522 FEL #4  
Hello the hose must not be mounted correctly they should be attached up under the platform. Check with the parts department they can order a mounting kit w/ the two lower pins and the upper brackets an plates to weld to anything you can dream of to the front of the loader just so it can lift it safely.

/ Questions about JD 5105 and 522 FEL
On the hose droop - I would like it to be a simple fix, but the exact same hose droopiness is shown in multiple places in the glossy brochure that JD puts out for the 5105. I figure that either they know what they're doing and it's not as vulnerable as it looks, OR this is one thing they screwed up on an otherwise solid machine. I don't know which.

Thanks for the info on the quick-attach kits.

Another question for 5105 owners - what is the turning radius like in operation? I tested it at a JD dealer back to back with a Kubota M6800 (equivalent size) and the Kubota seemed to turn a lot tighter. But official specs for 5105 show a 10.8 foot radius, which is not big by any means. Any idea why it would feel like a big radius?