Tractor
    110 TLB

Default john deere 110/ yanmar starter problem

The starter is not engaging completly all the time , it is grinding the flywheel .It has been cold -15 celcius or so but is indoors . It sounds like the the gear is not being thrown out far enough. I believe it is the bendix? My brother mentioned to lube the shaft but i always thought that just gummed it up worse or is it a fix till warm again , can this be replaced or your thoughts on the matter . and i have seen a website on inexpensive starter replacements. The tractor has 900 hrs

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Default Re: john deere 110/ yanmar starter problem

Quote Originally Posted by kellytheaker
    The starter is not engaging completly all the time , it is grinding the flywheel .It has been cold -15 celcius or so but is indoors . It sounds like the the gear is not being thrown out far enough. I believe it is the bendix? My brother mentioned to lube the shaft but i always thought that just gummed it up worse or is it a fix till warm again , can this be replaced or your thoughts on the matter . and i have seen a website on inexpensive starter replacements. The tractor has 900 hrs

Have you checked the starter solenoid, I take a starter off the engine and turn the engine to see if the starter solenoid moves the gear freely to mesh with flywheel gear first.