2320 / 2520 mowers

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
I'm looking at both JD, and Kubota tractors for maintaining the three acres of grass, and ten acres of woods at my place in NH. There has been considerable discussion here about the issue of the anti scalp wheels on the 62d mower deck making divots in the soil. It's my understanding that the deck height control on the 2320 is different than the 2520, and that the deck is suspended, and that mowing height is not controled by the wheels as it may be on the 2520. Am I corrrect in that assumption? Can anyone who has used either the 54", or 62" deck on the 2320 respond to the issue of problems with the "anti scalp" wheels? I like the specs on the 2520, but it seems that there are fewer compatibility issues with it's smaller brother. The situation with the mower deck mounts, and backhoe subframe for instance.....
Thanks in advance for your help.
Chuck

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #2  
I have the 2320 and the 62D mower. I use the mower with it suspended not riding on the wheels. However if I leave the front guide wheels down to far beyond the bottom edge of the deck they will leave some marks in the lawn in areas that are not flat, especially if the ground is wet and spongy. I adjust the wheels so they extend just beyond the bottom edge of the deck and that really seemed to help. I understand that JD has come out with some replacement wheels that are rounded off on the side edges. This may also help.

The deck height control is accomplished by setting a knob located on the operator's platform to the desired height then lowering the deck to the stop leaving it suspended.

I found the 2320 to be a very good, powerful tractor . Its a little over 200 lbs lighter than the 2520 (easier on the lawn) and you don't lose any ground clearance, they both have 12.5" of clearance. The 2520 does get you faster hydraulics and 2 more hp at the PTO. 3pt hitch lift capacities are the same. Front and Rear Axle capacities are the same. Both have 2 range hydro's.

Basically you are spending about $2500 more for 2 PTO HP and the ability to move the FEL somewhat faster. I thought it was interesting that with larger wheels and tires you do not get any more ground clearance.

They're both great tractors, you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
   / 2320 / 2520 mowers #3  
Hard said:
Basically you are spending about $2500 more for 2 PTO HP and the ability to move the FEL somewhat faster.

There are several other important differences, not the least of which is the difference between a direct injection engine and an indirect injection engine. I expect a good bit of the price is right there.

Cliff

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #4  
Cliff_Johns said:
There are several other important differences, not the least of which is the difference between a direct injection engine and an indirect injection engine. I expect a good bit of the price is right there.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I forgot about that. It's really hard to tell which one is indirect and which one is direct when they are running and you are operating them. They both start quickly even in the cold weather too. Which one do you own and how have you handled the mower deck issue that Chuck was talking about?

Last edited:
   / 2320 / 2520 mowers
Hard:
That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks so much for your prompt reply. The idea of a drive over mower deck is pretty appealing after dealing with a fairly heavy mmm for the last 20 years or so. I prefer the suspended deck for my land over the ground contact style. The idea of a small tractor that I can mow with that has more clearance than my BX is also appealing. I'm getting the same price quotes on the 2320 that I am on the Kubota 7610, and I like the quick change loader bucket, position control, ergonomics, etc. of the 2320 better. Right now, I'm getting the best trade in deal from the Kubota dealership, but I'm working on that.........
Chuck

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #6  
Chuck, I'm happy I could be of some help. As you mentioned the drive over deck installation is easy and takes just a few minutes to install or remove. So much easier than the 60" deck I had on my Cub Cadet SUB-CUTS to install and remove which you had to maneuver in or out from the side being very careful not to dent the low hanging hydro filter.

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #7  
Hard said:
Thanks Cliff. I forgot about that. It's really hard to tell which one is indirect and which one is direct when they are running and you are operating them. They both start quickly even in the cold weather too. Which one do you own and how have you handled the mower deck issue that Chuck was talking about?

I don't have a mower on my 4110 (2320 equivalent). I have it set up with the 46 BH and I use it for chipping etc, but not for mowing. Mowing I do with a JD lawn tractor (LT166).

Cliff

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #8  
Cliff_Johns said:
I don't have a mower on my 4110 (2320 equivalent). I have it set up with the 46 BH and I use it for chipping etc, but not for mowing. Mowing I do with a JD lawn tractor (LT166).

Cliff

The only thing better than one JD are two JD's...:D

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #9  
I just traded in my 2210 for a 2520, and the motor in the 2520 is got way more ballz than the 2210 had and thats the same motor as the 2320.
The engine alone is worth the upgrade! :D

/ 2320 / 2520 mowers #10  
The drive over mower deck does not ride on the wheels on either the 2320 or 2520. The deck is suspended on both tractors. The wheels are only used as anti scalp devices. You mentioned the thread about the wheels cutting divots in the yard on the 2520. I suspect, since the deck is the same for the 2320, the same would happen on a 2320 if there hasn't been a change in the deck design.