Mowing Mower blades

/ Mower blades #1  

organ grinder

Bronze Member
I recently bought a JD 2210 with 78 hours and am now trying to become very familiar with it. I have the mid-mouint 62" mower. The owner's manual says that I should remove the mower to change the blades. With any other deck in the past, I just drove onto ramps and changed the blades. Is there some reason this will not work with the 2210? Also, the manual says to hand torque the blades when reinstalling and not to use power tools. I have always used air tools to remove and install blades on other decks from other manufacturers. Is there something about JD blades and decks I am missing, or could I use air without damaging the deck?

/ Mower blades #2  
It is ok to use drive on ramps to change the blades. Most people probably don't have them. The problem with air tools to tighten the bolts, is the potential of over tightening the bolts and stripping the threads. I use air tools to remove the bolts and to just lightly tighten the bolts. I then use wrench for final tightening.

/ Mower blades #3  
I have been mowing grass municipally for nearly 20 years using many types of mowers. We never tighten with air tools, only a wrench and GLOVES!!!! Never had a blade fly off. Have never torqued them down either. You can try a torque wrench the first time to get a 'feel' for the tightness. If I hit a rock or needed to do a blade swap out in the field I just use a wrench, no air tools nearby. I don't know why you would need to take the deck off, if only for the fact that you need clearance to get to the blade bolts. Ramps are ok but you need to be safe and block the wheels. Or hook up your loader and use downpressure and curled bucket on a hard surface to raise up the front-end. Then use a couple of jack stands for safety.

/ Mower blades #4  
It's a good idea to coat the threads of the blade bolts with anti-sieze.

/ Mower blades #5  
You can do the ramp thing, but turn the wheels "sideways" on the 62C deck and you can have it out from under the tractor in less then 60 seconds. Very easy to do. Hard part is standing it up on the backside!

I have an electric impact wrench, it's pretty low-powered compared to an air-wrench, that does the wrenching. But I always start the bolts by hand to avoid cross-threading.